Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

just a little heads up... on the site migration

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

so, the site has been migrating for a couple days now.

I am not sure about this, but I think there could be the possibility that some posts made since last Friday night may be lost when we get it all over.

Again, I'm not sure about that, but I think it's possible since Friday was the last "snap shot" of the site content, so to speak that was saved before they sent me a link to a saved version of content.

yardsale2

yardsale2

• Sustaining Member
  • 1,140 posts
What ever it takes man. Do what ya gotta do. And thanks for the hard work involved

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

so finally got the site to the new server... it took since last Friday! Some technical problems slowed things down a bit. 

I'm still hoping we'll be done in June.  

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

well, I was just notified that the full migration of the site is actually NOT finished.  Still going.   :bored:

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

ok... this is not going well at all.

Total cluster.

Brian Hays

Brian Hays

Forum God

• Sustaining Member
  • 6,213 posts
Ut-oh. Whats up?
Posted Image

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

it's just technical shit

I couldn't explain... I don't really understand it myself. I am totally at the mercy of tech support dudes. 

Brian Hays

Brian Hays

Forum God

• Sustaining Member
  • 6,213 posts

Good because I'm even more clueless than you. :ROTFLMAO:

Posted Image

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

Seems to be moved over.  Now have to do some repair type stuff... don't really get how or what got damaged. 

But this has simply been moving the site to a new server!  We still have the forum software upgrade to do.  I guess the site upgrade process has been taking a long time.  Probably not going to make the June wrap up I really felt would be doable.

This is a very aggravating process. Made worse by the fact it's all way above my head.

baby stepping to the finish line... we'll get there eventually

Of course you all know there will probably be hiccups when it's all up and running too.  There always has been for the first week or 2 in the past at least. 

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

:4FxSake:

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

this continues to be a drag...

I just don't fully understand how at this stage, with well established software and all the server expertise at our disposal, how it can still be so precarious and encounter so many obstacles.

But it does. 

Gotta be pretty close though. 

I wonder if this will be totally anti-climactic?  We'll soon see. I mean... though we weren't really doing this to make changes to the site per se, but rather simply to return to good function as had become difficult due to obsolescence, even losing the ability to post pics, obviously.  But... the new software ought to offer some perks I would thinks in terms of some improved or new functions.  

Hopefully we'll know this week. 

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

well another day is evaporating... zero progress

I doubt we'll see a new site this week after all.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,836 posts

I understand that the lack of progress must be baffling to those of you who were kind enough to send contributions to help cover this upgrade.

It has been really bad.  I'm having so much trouble because the technical issues are far above my head.  It seems like my invision (board software) developer and the Server tech support view certain issues as the other party's responsibility and not within the per view of their work obligations.

It's a tough place to be for someone like me with nearly zero understanding of these very complex software and server issues. 

Things are stalled.  I might have to try to find another server and just eat the contract obligations. I don't know.  Things aren't working out.  Very frustrating.  I'm really lost in this stuff and what course of action to take at this point. 

One really big issue is that the server folks only view their obligation to reply in 24 hours on support threads.  So you can imagine how if you are having an exchange in text in a thread, it's tough and a lot of time passes when 24 hrs can pass between responses.  It's bad folks.  I apologize, but at the same time, it's out of my hands to some degree, in the sense that I'm at the mercy of their policies and stance on where the responsibility for different aspects of this process lie. 

larsvegas43

larsvegas43

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Member
  • 317 posts

I understand that the lack of progress must be baffling to those of you who were kind enough to send contributions to help cover this upgrade.

It has been really bad.  I'm having so much trouble because the technical issues are far above my head.  It seems like my invision (board software) developer and the Server tech support view certain issues as the other party's responsibility and not within the per view of their work obligations.

It's a tough place to be for someone like me with nearly zero understanding of these very complex software and server issues. 

Things are stalled.  I might have to try to find another server and just eat the contract obligations. I don't know.  Things aren't working out.  Very frustrating.  I'm really lost in this stuff and what course of action to take at this point. 

One really big issue is that the server folks only view their obligation to reply in 24 hours on support threads.  So you can imagine how if you are having an exchange in text in a thread, it's tough and a lot of time passes when 24 hrs can pass between responses.  It's bad folks.  I apologize, but at the same time, it's out of my hands to some degree, in the sense that I'm at the mercy of their policies and stance on where the responsibility for different aspects of this process lie. 

Stay strong, Steve. I guess everybody around here appreciates your dedication and hard work you're putting into this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Fuji

-----
Uploaded by bloud
24 August 2010 - 04:00 AM
923 Views · 0 Comments

Pad Set

-----
Mongoose Mongoose vinyl handlebar pad
Uploaded by keep_it_warm
31 January 2010 - 12:05 PM