Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

We are on the edge of the abyss... is it worth supporting the site to keep it alive?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,802 posts

Again - much appreciation as  several members have sent direct site support to get us through this.  That's noted and very helpful in this pinch - so thanks so much for the boost.

The next thing I need from you all is a little content. ;-)   Of course you can't post pics right now, so that makes it hard. LOL

Schneeky

Schneeky

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Upgrade it Steve, we can't afford to lose the best resource available. Happy to chip in, just point me in the right direction and it's done...

Brian Hays

Brian Hays

Forum God

• Sustaining Member
  • 6,198 posts

Upgrade it Steve, we can't afford to lose the best resource available. Happy to chip in, just point me in the right direction and it's done...

BMXsociety@gmail.com is the address to send money to.

Posted Image

PandaProAm420

PandaProAm420

BMX Addict (in recovery)

• Sustaining Member
  • 3,073 posts

With the very real possibility that Archive.org will be lost to people in the UK, and that may kill archive.org in the long run, it is imperative that this site be kept alive. I bring this up because I have been using archive.org's wayback machine to retrieve contents of old websites I ran and old pictures I have lost due to multiple hard drive failures in the past 3 years. here is a link to the OS/BMXSociety wayback machine:

https://web.archive....*/www.osbmx.com

This site here, above all others (including Vintage) is a treasure trove of info and history on BMX and must be preserved. I don't currently subscribe, due to a serious issue with keeping a balance in my bank or paypal,  but drop a chunk whenever I can. Those with predictable steady incomes should sub, and when I have an income to speak of, I will again.

Steve, give me the storage and bandwidth specs of what you need to keep this going, and I will research some possibly cheaper, lesser known providers.  What I lack currently in financial liquidity, I make up for in a good deal of time on my hands, and connections. Whatever I can do to help this situation, LMK. I have access to massive servers, I can have for free. Ever consider having someone private run the server for you? I no longer have a T1 line where I live, but that may be way cheaper than the other options. You would then only need to pay for your domain, the software I can probably get my hands on free to cheap, and the cost of whatever bandwidth the site needs. Maybe even do this as a fail-safe back up server, something akin to our own archive.org type thing, that I could probably do with materials and bandwidth I already have.

Anyone have any input on this? Any server admins out there have any suggestions? I have access to a lot of equipment and knowledge from friends in the industry, I just need to know the questions to ask and specs needed and maybe I can make something happen.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,802 posts

thanks guys, I'm planning on having a conference call soon, probably Thurs or Fri to speak with an expert with both servers and the software side of things and he's going to survey our situation and see if he can suggest some viable and money saving solutions.  Basically it's consultation with an expert. This was also hooked up by site members, so I appreciate you guys' assistance with all this. 

Will keep you in the loop.  

We'll lock it down and keep it going, no worries there.  Just trying to find the best deal to make this sustainable.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

R&R

-----
Uploaded by Larock
20 April 2012 - 01:34 AM
726 Views · 0 Comments

Stem

-----
Tuf Neck pro
Uploaded by psycho
14 May 2010 - 12:18 PM