Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

We are on the edge of the abyss... is it worth supporting the site to keep it alive?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts

So, folks...

kind of big decision time. 

The site is beginning to break down... stuff fails regularly, such as the photo issue.

This is partly due to forced obsolescence with the board software... they have moved on to much higher versions and we have been using the version that is several years old.

keeping this site going is about to get exponentially more costly.  Not just the upgrade to the new software, which will probably break into low 4 figures, but the bigger issue is that we have to migrate to a new server. 

Our old server was sold last fall and the new company is not as accomodating.  We have reached the limit on some our hosting package features.

The upgrade to the necessary new server capacity will mean that we pay more each month than we currently pay for the year.

What I'm getting at is this.  There are still a few regular site supporters.  I'm grateful to you.

On the other hand, the vast majority of you, even if you continue to visit the site, have cancelled or never contributed.

The $37 annual level comes out to about $3 a month... but too few will spend that, even though a cup of coffee at a lot of places will be more than that now.

People just don't value the site.  I do not expect those of you who have remained loyal and supportive to do more.  There is frankly no reason why others couldn't kick in 2 to 4 dollars a month.  It's almost nothing!  A freaking gallon of gas will run you $3.50 here in California right now.

I'm probably going to just do it and it's going to pinch me financially.  Myself and the few people who have remained site supporters shouldn't have to do this alone frankly.  

Please give it some thought.  Is the site worth the cost of a starbucks coffee one time a month?  If so, you know where the link is. 

Thanks

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

It seems vintage is facing several of these same issues. Mike has decided to just put the whole site in purgatory it seems. There is too much history and valuable research invested in these sites to just let them die. I'm in for an annual recurring membership. I absolutely hate the bmx groups on Facebook.

MelvinsArmy

MelvinsArmy

Forum god

• Sustaining Member
  • 2,918 posts

I don't know if it's something on my end, or if it's another problem with the server/whatever, but I clicked on the "support the site" button above, added it to my cart and no matter what I do, my cart says $0.00. 

turdburd

turdburd

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Maybe another glitch, but checked my PP and I have auto renewed in Dec 2018. On mobile site most of time and just looked at full version and doesn't look like I'm listed as sight supporter.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts

thanks guys, multiple reports of this issue now.  Yep... LOL, for FUCK's sake.   It is such a pain in the ass. 

Brian Hays

Brian Hays

Forum God

• Sustaining Member
  • 6,204 posts

I try to pay at least once a year. Sometimes more. Have been thinking about this since last week. Been thinking about selling a bike to donate the $$ to the site. I get it though. This place is a constant stress creator for you and quite frankly it's a ghost town. Facebook is killing the internet. The info stored here is irreplaceable but it seems like literally its only 5 or 6 guys participating here because everybody uses FB for EVERYTHING including BMX Society. I'll do whatever I can to help with $$ but I cannot stomach the thought of you going in debt for a very few of us that refuse to use facebook. Quite frankly it pisses me off the amount of guys who refuse to hold their weight here and pay $20 or $40 a year.

Posted Image

turdburd

turdburd

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
I'm game for doing a extra donation to help. Maybe need to think about passing the hat or something to raise some extra $ at the show next month
Enough people at the show just $5 each would be a bunch.

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

yeah I just tried to sign up as a sustaining member and total was zero. Let us know if there's another format for payment for the time being.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts

I try to pay at least once a year. Sometimes more. Have been thinking about this since last week. Been thinking about selling a bike to donate the $$ to the site. I get it though. This place is a constant stress creator for you and quite frankly it's a ghost town. Facebook is killing the internet. The info stored here is irreplaceable but it seems like literally its only 5 or 6 guys participating here because everybody uses FB for EVERYTHING including BMX Society. I'll do whatever I can to help with $$ but I cannot stomach the thought of you going in debt for a very few of us that refuse to use facebook. Quite frankly it pisses me off the amount of guys who refuse to hold their weight here and pay $20 or $40 a year.

Absolutely do not sell a bike. You do more than your share. I appreciate it, but please don't do anything like that.  Selling bikes is not sustainable.  We have to get enough people willing to support at a low painless level so that no one bears too much of the burden. 

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts

I'm game for doing a extra donation to help. Maybe need to think about passing the hat or something to raise some extra $ at the show next month

You may or may not be surprised to learn that the majority of people who attend the show do not support the event in anyway.  Yes, there are always about 150 or a bit more people who do support, but that's less than 10% of total attendance, so the rest are there to enjoy themselves and avoid even a modicum of support to make sure the events continue.  That's just reality.  Always has been. 

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts

This support button issue is weird - another thing that just randomly seems to go bad.  It worked about a week ago, and no real changes since then to trigger the issues.  I think it probably relates to the inode issue - which is one of the limits we're bumping up against on the current server package.

I appreciate the few of you speaking up here and your willingness to support.  There's also been some folks who haven't hit the thread who sent some direct via paypal.

I appreciate it.  I don't want to mothball the site... but just a guess here, by the time this is over, we probably need to have $120 to $150 a month. If 50 people would kick in $3/month... that'd cover it and probably be pretty painless to those folks.  But I know that will be a tough threshold to meet.   The part people kind of over look is that the expenses of maintaining the site hit monthly.  People feel like they "just kicked in" but time flies and often it was 16 months ago or more. I mean I get it.  That's why the donation level has to be very low - $3 to $5 a month. 

I'm in the midst of striking a new deal for a server.  

turdburd

turdburd

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

You may or may not be surprised to learn that the majority of people who attend the show do not support the event in anyway.  Yes, there are always about 150 or a bit more people who do support, but that's less than 10% of total attendance, so the rest are there to enjoy themselves and avoid even a modicum of support to make sure the events continue.  That's just reality.  Always has been.
Actually not surprised at all.

larsvegas43

larsvegas43

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Member
  • 316 posts

This support button issue is weird - another thing that just randomly seems to go bad.  It worked about a week ago, and no real changes since then to trigger the issues.  I think it probably relates to the inode issue - which is one of the limits we're bumping up against on the current server package.

I appreciate the few of you speaking up here and your willingness to support.  There's also been some folks who haven't hit the thread who sent some direct via paypal.

I appreciate it.  I don't want to mothball the site... but just a guess here, by the time this is over, we probably need to have $120 to $150 a month. If 50 people would kick in $3/month... that'd cover it and probably be pretty painless to those folks.  But I know that will be a tough threshold to meet.   The part people kind of overlook is that the expenses of maintaining the site hit monthly.  People feel like they "just kicked in" but time flies and often it was 16 months ago or more. I mean I get it.  That's why the donation level has to be very low - $3 to $5 a month. 

I'm in the midst of striking a new deal for a server.  

Perhaps an auto renew would help?

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts

maybe --- the cancelation for Auto Renew is in the supporter's OWN paypal control panel... you would not believe how much grief people give me about the subscription.  People are real dicks about it. Fuck. As if that $3 a month ruined their lives or something. 

Brian Hays

Brian Hays

Forum God

• Sustaining Member
  • 6,204 posts
Humans suck.
Posted Image

TOY24

TOY24

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

maybe --- the cancelation for Auto Renew is in the supporter's OWN paypal control panel... you would not believe how much grief people give me about the subscription.  People are real dicks about it. Fuck. As if that $3 a month ruined their lives or something. 

We Aussies have lost OZBMX and it sux big time 

This site needs to survive , Facebook just isn't the same as a forum 

There's lots of excellent info here , maybe promote the site on Facebook and more newbies might see the value of a forum 

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts

Thanks to you guys that kicked in. We'll get through it.   A number of folks have kicked in directly to the paypal: BMXsociety@gmail.com 

I'm still concerned about meeting this expense threshold every month.  That's the real challenge here - getting enough people to kick in a painless amount monthly.  So, once the site gets fixed I'll start some new subscriptions that arer $3 to $5 a month.  Maybe that will go down easier with folks.

turdburd

turdburd

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Hopefully this will work out in time. Too much info to let go of.

larsvegas43

larsvegas43

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Member
  • 316 posts

I'd be down. Whatever it is.

oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard

Advanced Member

• Site Patron
  • 257 posts

Steve.  Just sent you some money thru the paypal addy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mongoose

Uploaded by Chris Oakden
08 January 2016 - 03:03 AM
868 Views · 0 Comments

Rear Hub

-----
Avocet
Uploaded by daripper
13 June 2013 - 11:13 AM
660 Views · 0 Comments