Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Good thing this site hosted your photos for free since 2006. Unfortunate so many insisted on Photobucket.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,207 posts

i know the people that insisted on using photo bucket thought they had it all figured out... we lost a lot over the years because folks thought they knew best with off site hosting, but now I guess photobucket really pulled the plug.  

My only regret is not having more of those photos saved that were off site hosted.  There was a fair amount of photos lost over the years.  But we still have a lot because many of us always knew it was best to have the site be the host.  

Thanks to you guys who remain site supporters.  That is what allows this photo hosting facility to exist.

TrulyOdd

TrulyOdd

Forum god

• Admin
  • 6,362 posts
word to the mutha.

yardsale2

yardsale2

• Sustaining Member
  • 1,012 posts
Photofuckit has sucked since day one. And a tip of the hat to this site

larsvegas43

larsvegas43

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

”Photofuckit”  :oof: . Steve said it time and time again. Props to you Steve for having that foresight. It was only a question of time till photobucket started tightening the screws and forcing users to become paid members.

CharleyGnarlyP290

CharleyGnarlyP290

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

I changed to Flickr some months back mainly because PB was getting so bleedin' slow. What is lame right now, is I now want to move my stuff from PB to Flickr. I downloaded my first album and then uploaded it to Flickr. Second album... no go. I can't get anything to download now. Anybody else have this problem? Thanks goodness I have all my photos on hard drives as well.

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Flickr may pull the same thing at some point as well. You're really not supposed to link directly to the static image. Instead I think you're supposed to use the BBCode link.

Testing...

33208788664_9ee3f31d38_k.jpgUntitled by pawliewog2001, on Flickr

30029707341_8704b98a90_k.jpgUntitled by pawliewog2001, on Flickr

Edited by RL Paulie, 17 July 2017 - 01:50 PM.

Brian Hays

Brian Hays

Forum God

• Sustaining Member
  • 5,683 posts

Um.......The whole point is to use THIS SITE to host, not test to see if Flickr works here. :nah.I.mean:

Whats the deal with the Robbie cruiser. I dig it.

Posted Image

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

That's fine. I pay to use flickr so I'm sure most would prefer to upload here anyway.

Brian Hays

Brian Hays

Forum God

• Sustaining Member
  • 5,683 posts
Im just playin with ya.
Posted Image

_Leonard

_Leonard

• Users
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

I wonder if using the "wayback machine" over at archive.org could recover some of the lost photos?

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

I wonder if using the "wayback machine" over at archive.org could recover some of the lost photos?

Ha! Interesting idea to check on this. I actually just put together training materials earlier this year for patent examiners on the Wayback Machine. Old web pages can be used as prior art to invalidate pending patent applications. 

Unfortunately I fear that any embedded images are still going to be linked to the site that hosts them. It would be a tedious task to look for images as well. The Internet Archive isn't great for finding stuff buried deep within a site. Usually just snapshots from the outer couple layers of a site are captured.

nycet3

nycet3

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
I always upload to this site. Why have a museum if the images are elsewhere?

_Leonard

_Leonard

• Users
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

:NoBS:

I tested my theory and it worked.

I had to use the 25th Rad thread on the other site since

I had a hard time finding dead links here.

sodbuster

sodbuster

Reclusive curmudgeon

• Site Patron
  • 3,145 posts

I made the mistake years ago when it came to hosting pics off site. I ended up loosing a lot and even lost quite a bit here. I went back in and fixed what I could at that time but I could only do so much due to lost files, fried computers and such. When we were able to get our pics hosted here I jumped on it. Sometimes I would uses pics hosted here elsewhere when it was easier for me to do so. Otherwise on other sites I just used photobucket. mainly because on other sites that is how they wanted it or I just did not care if anything got lost on those sites in the future. But not here. I consider the info stored here to be vital. There is a lot of great info to be had here, all one needs to do is dig for it.

The funny part is that any pics I have hosted here that I have used elsewhere, are the only pics I have posted elsewhere that are still in there working hard! :rockout:

Research.Contributor.Signature.png
MOTOLOGO.Signature.gif

reilley1

reilley1

Forum dog

• Sustaining Member
  • 4,165 posts

I must admit that I did this for a long time but mainly because I was cross-posting across several forums. I tried to rectify this specially on the Mel thread.

I also lost a LOT of pictures when the photo hosting at the V went heads up. Those, I regret losing as I lost most of them on a hard drive disaster.

Now, I is smarter..   I save them here, on a backup drive and on a cloud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SE

-----
Uploaded by Surf911S
29 January 2010 - 12:03 AM
327 Views · 0 Comments

Frame / Fork Set

-----
S&M Dirtbike
Uploaded by wagonguy
06 June 2012 - 04:42 AM