Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The "Blacklite" Thread

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Texasbmx

Texasbmx

Formerly known as "Bornintheusa"

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

I had a one off titan freestyle bike built by Ken Burleson in 83. My family and his were very close at the time. Man I wish I still had it.

Off topic

Also, there was one rebel factory mini built by Ken that Brock Bruce still has. (his dad owned rebel) It was built to specs on the rebel factory mini frame I was racing at the time. In fact contrary to popular belief, rebel did not even have a mini frame until 83. I rode for the factory team from 81-83 and running a gt frame with rebel decals. Interesting history

I think Brock said there was more than one of those ti rebels. didn't know Ken made them. makes sense.

Eben has a freestyle mini too.. His was made around the same time as yours. His was a Blacklite. Does it resemble the one I posted above?

I just found some video of the first mention of Blacklite at the '82 Winternationals. Merle Menninga was announcing, mentioned Blacklite in a couple of races, and says something like," I've never heard of them."

I tried posting on here, but it doesn't work. It works ok on the FB Society page. Funny thing about it is one of the riders is on a mini Blazer and has what looks like a GT jersey on.

More than a few factory riders were riding different decals on their other brand frames. The manufacturers had to keep their brand out on the track until the new models or modifications were made.

Blacklite and Blazer were closer than I knew

falcon8

falcon8

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Here's a 'pic' of a Black-Lite in action, sourced from the '84 ABA Photo Archive.

attachicon.gifBlacklite '84.JPG

Bob, is that a Finney number plate?

Probably? Definitely not a Harbor plate. Too many 00's for one of our riders. I'll post some pics of the ones we made prior to Finney plates soon. Don't want to step on this Blacklite thread with # plate stuff. Let me know if you want it posted here or elsewhere.

Texasbmx

Texasbmx

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
It's relevant, post away!

dubplatestyle

dubplatestyle

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Noah, I'm not sure I follow in regards to your statement "Blacklite and Blazer were closer than I knew"? Is this solely based on Ken Burleson manufacturing the titanium mini's for Rebel?

Posted Image

Texasbmx

Texasbmx

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Noah, I'm not sure I follow in regards to your statement "Blacklite and Blazer were closer than I knew"? Is this solely based on Ken Burleson manufacturing the titanium mini's for Rebel?

I was thinking Mike and/or Dave may have been friends with them and gave them an old Blazer for one of the Blacklite riders to race but then again it could have just been a coincidence. 

Mikku

Mikku

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

An '82 frameset just popped up for sale over on the other site - see pic below!

Btw, what happened to the OP? Haven't seen him posting recently, either here or elsewhere!

Attached Thumbnails

• '82 Black Lite.jpg

TrulyOdd

TrulyOdd

Forum god

• Admin
  • 6,640 posts

caught in the matrix on FB.   :power.of.suggestion:  

actually, he's all into vans now (vintage chevy, dodge etc.)

sammy

sammy

• Users
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Found a black lite frame at a scraper on so 281 in Sn Antonio not bad for $3. now I need forks wheels cranks--this cheep find is going to cost! Ha Ha !!! Thinks for the great info here.

dubplatestyle

dubplatestyle

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Finding forks may be a bit difficult, but these are the ones you'll be looking for.

_MG_9489.JPG

(Please ignore the decals, this particular set of titanium Black-Lite forks were found on a CW sponsored ride.)

The shape of the drop outs are almost identical to the Rebel Racing mini forks seen on the (black) Blazer complete in the rear.

_MG_5834.JPG

Posted Image

Aaron Godfrey

Aaron Godfrey
  • Users
  • 4 posts

Hello folks,

I'm new to the society. I'm into Black Lite and have some pics to share. Some may have been seen elsewhere on this site but I'd like to include them in this all inclusive thread.

screen-shot-2017-03-14-at-4.14.03-pm5b2d3d5cb9.png

Original head tube decal. (from member: ebenk)

img_16735b02d04f84.jpg

Titanium frame set.

image5.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Titanium frame set and Freestyle frame set. (from member: ebenk)

blackliteframes5a009c31275a15a2e6a0.jpg

Chromed aluminum frames.

e2ed0fad-106e-4d0c-912b-7fcaf4b4279b5ba1a3adf3.jpeg

6114cd83-7e6b-4d9f-9540-8b67e0112d145ba1a3adf3.jpeg

post-1780-1363208798745ad6230d0a.jpg

larsvegas43

larsvegas43

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Hello folks,

I'm new to the society. I'm into Black Lite and have some pics to share. Some may have been seen elsewhere on this site but I'd like to include them in this all inclusive thread.

attachicon.gifscreen-shot-2017-03-14-at-4.14.03-pm5b2d3d5cb9.png

Original head tube decal. (from member: ebenk)

attachicon.gifimg_16735b02d04f84.jpg

Titanium frame set.

attachicon.gifimage5.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage4.jpeg

Titanium frame set and Freestyle frame set. (from member: ebenk)

attachicon.gifblackliteframes5a009c31275a15a2e6a0.jpg

Chromed aluminum frames.

attachicon.gife2ed0fad-106e-4d0c-912b-7fcaf4b4279b5ba1a3adf3.jpeg

attachicon.gif6114cd83-7e6b-4d9f-9540-8b67e0112d145ba1a3adf3.jpeg

attachicon.gifpost-1780-1363208798745ad6230d0a.jpg

Nice! What's the story on the Red Line-stickered one?

Aaron Godfrey

Aaron Godfrey
  • Users
  • 4 posts
It belonged to a racer named Chris Gibson. Don’t know why it was stickered Redline. May have road this frame for Redline in a race and just restickered it for the race.

Aaron Godfrey

Aaron Godfrey
  • Users
  • 4 posts
Here’s the thread I found it in:
http://www.bmxsociet...p/?fromsearch=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SE

-----
Uploaded by g-man
06 March 2010 - 03:43 PM