Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Re-Polling the Mid-School 20" class

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,263 posts

Please be advised:

We are re-polling Mid-School as NBL49a has withdrawn his Cyclecraft. 

I would like to request that all members eligible for voting, cast a new vote in the Mid-School 20" class.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

TrulyOdd

TrulyOdd

Forum god

• Admin
  • 6,455 posts
wtf???

gto455

gto455

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Great bike.

Hrkhotrods

Hrkhotrods

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Damn... That was a sic bike too. :-/

shinglehead

shinglehead

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
Bummer. Didn't the same thing happen last year with that Titanium Terrible One Barcode?

buddhaisfat

buddhaisfat

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It was already built in 2006, new paint and a "few" different parts. Rules are rules.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,263 posts

Jeff, this was a very different situation. The T1 guy just kind of flipped out for no good reason that I can recall.  On the other hand, Stephen withdrew it rather than meltdown and make a spectacle.

Greg states the ostensible "facts of the matter".  It is actually a bit more nuanced than that.

NBL49a  viewed it more like a project 7 years in the making, that was just completed this year.  Yes, he had shown the bike on vintage with 2 different looks several years ago. In his opinion he finally got it how he wanted it this year.

So, the way he looked at it...  the long journey was completed this year.

That said, I totally understand how someone could look at the old photos and look at his entry this year and just say "yeah, same bike... just a few changes".

I can also appreciate Stephen's view point that he finally finished his masterpiece this year. Stephen chose to pull it rather than win with a cloud over it, or trigger drama on the site. Or force me to make that decision to pull it.

There was another member that wanted to enter a bike that he had changed the wheels and bars on this year.  That bike had been posted on the Museum.  It could be argued that it was a similar situation, however putting it on the museum, in my opinion says "I'm done" a little more definitively than the thread with the cycle craft on vintage.  That said, the other member finally felt like he had completed his masterpiece too.  I get it and appreciate that view.

I totally understand people's quest for perfection and that it can take a long time.  At the same time, the focus on this event is narrow -- "of the year", and we don't want to fill up the classes with bikes that were the same as a year or two years ago, but now have new cranks and seat.  

It's not always a simple black and white issue.  It can be, but it can also be nuanced.  It is not fun to be the dasher of dreams. 

Anyway... it's over.  Neither of those bikes are in it.  We move forward.

Texasbmx

Texasbmx

Formerly known as "Bornintheusa"

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
Steve, I posted pics of my rebel on here a few months ago. I haven't reused a single part on the new direction I chose, aside from the stem. Would this be a no go on entering the event next year?

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,263 posts

That will be ok.  I will figure out some sort of threshold and work it in to the rules to explicitly state what is OK.

I'm really not interested in making it more difficult for people to participate, within reason.  I mean, you building that frame set up with all new parts with no exceptions  vs you selling that frame set to someone else and they were to build it up.... it seems to me that there is no reason to allow the latter to enter but not the former.

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Site Patron
  • 8,167 posts

I have to agree with the rules are the rules part of it, rule #2 is very clear.  I guess the lesson to be learned is, if a bike is a work in progress and you want to enter it into the BOTY, resist the urge to build it up and show it off if you haven't finished it.  It isn't a slight against Stephen, he didn't intentionally break the rules or try to get around them IMO.  But in order to stay consistent with other people we have had to boot for the same reason, we had to disqualify this one too.

There are multiple areas of this event I think we need to update after this year, we have been discussing a lot of them in years past but never implemented them.  Hopefully next years event will be even better.

brycebarker

brycebarker

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Member
  • 390 posts

Tough call my friends!

brycebarker

brycebarker

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Member
  • 390 posts

So don't show your bike, just in case is isn't the same when you feel confident enough to enter it in BOTY?

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,263 posts

So don't show your bike, just in case is isn't the same when you feel confident enough to enter it in BOTY?

This is exactly what I'd like to avoid.  Show your bikes... for the love of Christmas, please show your bikes.  The most introverted membership in the Vintage BMX world hardly needs another reason not to post.  Ugh.

I have a bike incomplete but very close for probably 6 years, maybe 7... long enough that I can't remember when I got the frame and fork exactly.  I can relate to all sides of this issue.

BOTY is a lot of fun and a spectacular show case, but there are 11 other months of the year when life must go on. Live your BMX life without regard to BOTY.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

S&M

Uploaded by Larock
19 April 2011 - 03:49 AM
399 Views · 0 Comments

Frame / Fork Set

-----
SE Racing Hauler
Uploaded by Brian Hays
16 January 2016 - 09:19 PM
463 Views · 0 Comments