Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Complete, Champion history post

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
The Champion legacy has always intrigued me, and I thought I had the story strait. Here is a good analogy of the history.:

The aftermarket frame evolution which started with Flat trackers (basic version)

Swanson frame 1967-Ken Swanson builds two Bultacos for John Lund, Neil Keen
Sonicweld frame 1968-Ken Watkins, Ray Hensley
Trackmaster frame 1969- Ray Hensley, Neil Keen leave Sonicweld start Trackmaster
Redline frame 1971- Mike Konle, Lynn Kasten leave Trackmaster, start Redline
Trackmaster frame- Hensly leaves for Canada to be a fishing guide and Trackmaster goes thru a series of owners Walt Mahony, Phil Haskell,etc. ....now owned by Pete Fisher
Schwerma Champion frame- Started by Doug Schwerma
Champion frame- Doug Schwerma dies and Redline buys Champion at auction
Knight frame-Terry Knight welder/fabricator for Schwerma starts his own company after Schwerma's death, with Mert Lawwill, called Lawwill Knight
Champion frame- sold to Buddy Carrol..Konle takes name to Champion Crane Company (See Terminator 3 for Crane reference)
Redline frame- goes into the BMX business and Kasten sells it
Star racer- Ray Hensley comes back from Canada, Larry Kennedy, Neil Keen team up to build a new frame
Star racer Attebury- Kennedy sells company to Attebury who changes design form Keen original
Dick Mann Frames- 1967 Mann's own business then he goes to work for Yankee and designs the DMR and Z...business is resurected when he leaves Yankee
C&J frame- Jeff Cole and Steve Jengtses are asked to fabricate frames for Kawasaki and then Dallas Baker private label frames
Steve goes to work for Ron Wood and Jeff later sells the business
J&M frame....Mike Owen starts out as a distributor for Knight frames and when that shuts down starts making his own frames...

Joe Buffardi

Joe Buffardi

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
Wow!!! Thanks so much for that!!!

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
Here is Doug Schwerma in the middle, wearing glasses and a hat, and a young Ken Roberts just to the right:

Attached Thumbnails

• schwerma01.jpg

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts

Wow!!! Thanks so much for that!!!

I love Champions, always have, so now, I am looking for the missing pieces. Where does Lawwill fit in to this time line? My Lawwill 24", has welds and rear drop outs like a Schwerma. Yet, the rest of it looks like my 81 24" Champion. Or, does my 81 look like my Lawwill. And is there a connection between Lawwill and Schwerma? Did the same guy build both bikes?

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
I got it, I got it, by Joe.....
"Knight frame-Terry Knight welder/fabricator for Schwerma starts his own company after Schwerma's death"

My cruiser says "Lawwill-Knight" it was the same guy. So, my Lawwill is the same builder, I knew it!! It had to, cause the rear drop outs are identical.. How fricken cool is that!

Joe Buffardi

Joe Buffardi

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
Ah aha!!! winner winner chicken dinner!!!.

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
Funny Joe......

The Lawwill part was always where I lost the story. So I started trying to fill in the pieces. And it was right in front of me... DOPE!!

Attached Thumbnails

• lawill.jpg

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
So, my stable has included these bikes so far:
1981 Champion 20"
1978 Champion Squareback 20"
1981 Champion 24"
1981 Lawwill 24"

So, how about an all Champion thread? Just Champions... I didn't see any posts in here for just Champions in here. Anybody game? I know Route66, SE666, Larock, Bufardi, and so on has at least one or two...

Attached Thumbnails

• 03_2010a.jpg
  • Champion_right02.jpg
  • goodright.jpg
  • lawwill_right.jpg

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
I just realized I have a 5th Champion product... Notice my first blue Champion has a blue Redline Carrera fork? Well, I have a chrome Redline Carrera with a chrome Champion fork now!
Go figure...

Attached Thumbnails

• redline01.jpg

RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

• Supporting Member
  • 773 posts
April, 1980...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

• Supporting Member
  • 773 posts
Strand Cruisin'!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
Cool, lets fill this post, Champion style...

Attached Thumbnails

• 82championdad.jpg

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
Now heres an oddity. I seem to collect images that sometimes I have no clue. Found this sometime last year, and I can't remember squat about it. Anyone?

Attached Thumbnails

• Champ1.jpg

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
Another, I actually found in here...

Attached Thumbnails

• Champion.Feb76.BMXN.jpg

RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

• Supporting Member
  • 773 posts

Now heres an oddity. I seem to collect images that sometimes I have no clue. Found this sometime last year, and I can't remember squat about it. Anyone?

1st gen Champion cruiser.

A magazine did an article about it back in the day, I believe Jamal Spelling owns the actual frame from the article.

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
How about a Mini........

Attached Thumbnails

• champmini.jpg

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts

1st gen Champion cruiser.

A magazine did an article about it back in the day, I believe Jamal Spelling owns the actual frame from the article.

Thats bad ass, I like the headtube.. Overall it hardly looks like a Champion, besides the finish...

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
Heres a 1981 24" Frame and bars. With assorted decals and pads.
All Champion OG. Courtesy of, well... over there...

Attached Thumbnails

• champ24.jpg

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
Heres the last of my random Stuff related... For now....

Attached Thumbnails

• champflyer.jpg

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Supporting Member
  • 1434 posts
Serial Numbers:
(1975 - 1976)
Doug Schwerma Champions serial numbers are located on the very front of the headtube tube (under the headtube decal)
All of the Dog Schwerma numbers I have seen have started with CF and then three digits.
The highest number for the Doug Schwerma Champs is in the high 280's

(1977)
Gap in production due to Doug Schwerma's death

(1978 to 1979)
The next generation was the "Linn Kastan/Mike Konle" Champions.
All of the frame I have seen of this generation have no serial numbers or the serial number is located on the bottom bracket shell.
Included in this generation:
Squareback 20"
Squareback 26"

(1980 to 84 "I think"??)
The Mike Konle generation. This generation is typified by the rainbow style decals.
Included in this generation are: (I am sure that others will surface)
20"
24"
26"
26" Tandem
20" mini (a few different styles)
and some prototypes.

There are several different variations of the placement of the serial numbers in this generation. All seem to be on the bottom bracket shell.
1) Serial numbers are just a set of numbers from side to side
2) Serial numbers are just a set of numbers with the word "CHAMPION" numbers are from side to side.
3) Serial numbers start with the letter "C" and the word CHAMPION is above the number. Number is side to side.
4) Serial numbers start with the letter "C" and the word CHAMPION is above the number. Number is front to back.
5) Serial numbers start with the letter "G" and have a rider weight limit
6) Serial numbers start with the letter "C" and the word CHAMPION USA is above the number. Number is front to back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BMXsociety Show The Bicycle Source Fireman's Bikes Rick's Bike Shop Bike_of_the_year