Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bikes for the World donations / dumpster finds

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
I've been volunteering for this organization since 2007 and I'm so amazed at the stuff that people are still throwing in the trash. I went through a couple old hard drives last night and pulled out a few notable pictures of bikes that we saved from being sent to Africa, South/Central America or Asia. Before I got involved finds like these were being shipped to third world regions. All of these bikes have either been donated or we pulled them from a landfill transfer station metal scrap pile in Maryland. I hope you enjoy...

Unstamped Feb. 84 Pro Performer:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

First load of bikes delivered from a national bike trade in event done in conjunction with Dick's sporting goods. 5000 bikes were donated by Dick's. Amazingly, no decent bmx stuff made it to us. I think somebody got to the stash before us and did some cherry picking.
Posted Image

We also got a lot of donations from bike shops and took all the leftovers from an old abandoned shop in MD. I'll mix in some pics of what we found in the lot.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thruster Timmy Judge with Haro group one parts:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Copyright 1979:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bike shop repair order is attached to the spokes to repair the hub. Work was never done and apparently the owner abandoned the wheel:
Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all I have time for now. I have a ton more pics. If you're interested I'll post them...

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
Maybe just a few more...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

papalone13

papalone13

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
so wait, these were all finds that popped up before you worked there? what happens now if you find a nice bike?? :)

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
No... These are what I helped pull since 2007. There are a lot more as well. Prior to me getting involved the organizers didn't bat an eyelash at an old bmx bike. They use kids bikes as filler in the shipping containers.
I showed them what to look for and set anything interesting aside so that I can inspect. I then take the good ones and sell them to help fund the charity.

papalone13

papalone13

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
very cool!

Lawrie

Lawrie

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
Incredible. They say that one man's trash is another man's treasure but that's just nuts. The old owners would sure kick themselves if they knew the value of the stuff they were throwing away. That red Goose is just amazing. A worthy entry into the BOTY survivor category.

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
That red goose and the other two above and below it are some of the first few bikes that I saved in early 2007. At the time I was giving "bro deals" to guys on Vintage. I think those 3 went for $100 each and BftW was happy to get that much for them. I later learned that at least one of them was flipped almost immediately so I stopped the practice unfortunately. I now try to get as much as I reasonably can for them.

wagonguy

wagonguy

Forum god

• Staff
  • 2,602 posts

That red goose and the other two above and below it are some of the first few bikes that I saved in early 2007. At the time I was giving "bro deals" to guys on Vintage. I think those 3 went for $100 each and BftW was happy to get that much for them. I later learned that at least one of them was flipped almost immediately so I stopped the practice unfortunately. I now try to get as much as I reasonably can for them.

As you should. I have no problem flipping a bike from outside the hobby (thrift stores, garage sales, etc), but taking advantage of a fellow collector is just wrong.

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
More:

Posted Image

Turbo pulled from a scrap metal heap:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I love the perfect color match of the horn... and the tassles, lol.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Giant frame is exactly the same as old predator frames (researching this one led me to discover that Giant Bikes actually made all those predators bitd):
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Who knew Blue Max had an F1 bike?
Posted Image

Another Blue Max. This thing was absolutely gorgeous! Freewheel motomags. When I posted a pic on vintage a few years ago I immediately got a pm offer of $500. I talked to Keith (the BftW director) and told him it would probably go for more on ebay. Stupid mistake. It went for $350 and a week later I saw the wheels listed on museum for more than the whole bike sold for. ugh! Live and learn. ebay isn't always the best route to take.
Posted Image

I loved this pit!
Posted Image

More bike shop goodies:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This had a perfect set of red Race Inc. bars on it with a suntour stem which were sold separately. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a pic of it complete...
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pretty sure that suspension bike in the back went to Monster-Robot. What is it?
Posted Image

Boss:
Posted Image

bmx2112

bmx2112

ya dig!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,837 posts
a Lavender Turbo??

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

a Lavender Turbo??

Crazy right? That bike through me for a loop initially because the paint job was perfect. Kid obviously had it painted professionally and started to "freestyle" it out with the white tires etc.
I'm not going to "out" him as I don't know if he finished the restoration or not, but a guy most you folk would recognize bought that bike.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Monster-Robot

Monster-Robot

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

It's a Roadway. I've cleaned it up just a little since the picture but it's in the queue for a full refresh and some correction. I also got a Kent KMX-750 full suspension bike from you in about 2005. It's been bumped to the back of the queue several times...guess I need to get it done.

:Power.Grin:

Thanks again Paul!

Roadway resize.JPG

100_0511 - resize.JPG
Posted Image

pmjarvisvt2011

pmjarvisvt2011

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Wow!!! A lot of those bikes are amazing finds. I wouldn't mind owning a few of them to restore. Quite a few Mongoose bikes. And, that Hutch. All of these were thrown away or donated??? I wonder how many of those bikes were stolen BITD. Thanks for showing us those photos. Would really like to see some more when you have the time. Again, I might not want to ... LOL

Bigg Dirty

Bigg Dirty

• Suspended
  • 150 posts
So..........You Keep The Goods And Send Them The Trash!!! WOW!!!Your More DIRTY Than Me! :naughty:

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
The only thing I kept is the white Redline RL-20II from these pictures. I paid $300 for it before I became involved in a larger capacity. I spend a lot of my time advertising the bikes for sale and also help out with collection events, processing bikes and loading tractor trailer containers. Honestly I'm just happy to be involved and just to have so much cool stuff cross pass through my hands.

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

It's a Roadway. I've cleaned it up just a little since the picture but it's in the queue for a full refresh and some correction. I also got a Kent KMX-750 full suspension bike from you in about 2005. It's been bumped to the back of the queue several times...guess I need to get it done.

:Power.Grin:

Thanks again Paul!

Roadway resize.JPG

100_0511 - resize.JPG

Haha. I remember that KMX but it wasn't a BftW bike. That one came from my old "bike hoarder guy" hookup. He asked me if I wanted it, I told him no but that I could probably find someone who would be interested in it. That guy is now hip to the OS BMX scene and doesn't let them go so cheaply any more. Do you remember what you paid for it back then?

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,825 posts
It's cool to see all the variety you've been able to salvage. Looks like you get a lot of parts too, eh? Do you guys just try to piece bikes together out of the parts? Do you get all bikes in working order before shipping them overseas?

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
No, we don't necessarily get bikes in working order, but we try to make sure all the parts are there. That's the beauty of it. The overseas partners get to train and employ bike mechanics on the receiving end. BftW does receive a lot of new bike and parts donations from bike shops and other organizations. Extra parts like tires, tubes, spare wheels, etc. are thrown in to fill the spaces in between bikes. We try to get those containers packed as tightly as possible to minimize shifting on the long boat rides. Race Pace Bicycles in Westminster MD just purchased and donated 10 brand new Kona bikes to be included in shipment headed for Kenya. Close to 73,000 bikes have been shipped since BftW started around 2005.
http://www.bikesfortheworld.org

RL Paulie

RL Paulie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
I almost forgot I took this video of the storage warehouse (purgatory) last May...

PATTERSON RIDER

PATTERSON RIDER

• Users
  • 5 posts
Wow, the blue Schwinn Mag Scrambler was my first Bmx. That is the first one I have seen that was the same color scheme as the one I had. Thanks for posting. That has brought back some good memories.

PR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Schwinn

-----
Uploaded by RipVanWinkle
23 June 2011 - 05:34 AM
780 Views · 0 Comments

Stem

-----
Cook Bros Straight stem
Uploaded by se666