Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BOTY Comments & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

Joe Buffardi

Joe Buffardi

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Thanks for anyone that voted for my bikes! beaten by one point to a very deserving Joe, well done my friend! :cheers:

Thanks man!!! I almost didn't put it in the contest. You are still a winner in my book. We both won.

2blader

2blader

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
I always flip a coin when I vote. :ROTFLMAO:

Actually I just vote for what bike I like the most and I'm out-thx for the love gents.

:ThumbsUp:

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Why is the Retro class not up for boty voting??

And I thought I was the Rookie here!!! :ROTFLMAO:

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,662 posts
Noob, rookie... descriptions that fit each of us at one point. Inexperience is not in itself a character flaw.

I think the question is a valid one and Brian did a pretty good job explaining it.

It really boils down to this, Calismooth... we choose for the focal point of this event to be about highlighting the pinnacle of vintage bikes in collector hands. At it's core, it's meant to celebrate the history of bmx culture and the relics of the past eras of bmx. We do happily accommodate new school and retro bikes with their own classes because despite being a vintage event, we do appreciate BMX innovation up to the present and acknowledge that modern bikes be they totally modern cutting edge, or with throwback styling are important facets of the BMX experience. That said, to win the overall, a bike must be "vetted" by time. It must be seasoned. We've made a decision that to graduate into the final round to be the over all Bike of the Year, a bike must be of a minimum vintage. It's kind of like academic graduation... the freshmen are not eligible for graduate diplomas at the end of the year no matter how impressive their GPA's... only the Seniors who have satisfied all the requisites are eligible for diplomas.

calismoooth

calismoooth

• Users
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Noob, rookie... descriptions that fit each of us at one point. Inexperience is not in itself a character flaw.

I think the question is a valid one and Brian did a pretty good job explaining it.

It really boils down to this, Calismooth... we choose for the focal point of this event to be about highlighting the pinnacle of vintage bikes in collector hands. At it's core, it's meant to celebrate the history of bmx culture and the relics of the past eras of bmx. We do happily accommodate new school and retro bikes with their own classes because despite being a vintage event, we do appreciate BMX innovation up to the present and acknowledge that modern bikes be they totally modern cutting edge, or with throwback styling are important facets of the BMX experience. That said, to win the overall, a bike must be "vetted" by time. It must be seasoned. We've made a decision that to graduate into the final round to be the over all Bike of the Year, a bike must be of a minimum vintage. It's kind of like academic graduation... the freshmen are not eligible for graduate diplomas at the end of the year no matter how impressive their GPA's... only the Seniors who have satisfied all the requisites are eligible for diplomas.

Ok sounds good. I never saw a mention of prizes. Do the class winners get anything or just the boty overall winner?? If the class winners don't get anything you should just drop the classes out that will not qualify in the final boty voting.

Sorry to the certain people that hate on me for asking questions, last time I checked that's how you learn and understand things that you might not know that much about.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,662 posts

If the class winners don't get anything you should just drop the classes out that will not qualify in the final boty voting.

It's for fun, dude. Not for prizes. Acknowledgment of their peers has been enough vindication to keep people entering this since 2004.

Like I said... inclusion of the new and retro is a nod to those genres and we enjoy including them in that capacity. I've explained why the event is set up as it is, and it is not meant to belittle new school or retro. The freshman/senior metaphor is about as good as I can do at the moment in terms of trying to give you an idea of why things are as they are.

It should come as no surprise to anyone in those classes that they do not go on to the finals. It is clearly explained in the rules for those classes. If people read the rules, they knew what they were getting into.

RadRoss

RadRoss

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,662 posts
Love that film and love that scene.

Cycle24-7

Cycle24-7

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Spoken like a true gentlemen, and a scholar. And the best point, it IS all in fun. And "This reply" is the level of intelligence and passion that draws us to this site. Thank you for your attention to detail, to history, and making this a great place to be.

RadRoss

RadRoss

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Love that film and love that scene.

:thanks:

reilley1

reilley1

Forum dog

• Sustaining Member
  • 4,211 posts
I was thinking we should give out pork chops for the class winners..:)

Most of us here do not enter to win anything, if we win, cool. If we don't, just as cool. Just the idea of sharing our rides with like-minded individuals is good enough for me and like I said before, if even one person brings up a memory of their past by seeing one of my bikes, I am happy.

Larock

Larock

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Most of us here do not enter to win anything, if we win, cool. If we don't, just as cool. Just the idea of sharing our rides with like-minded individuals is good enough for me and like I said before, if even one person brings up a memory of their past by seeing one of my bikes, I am happy.

Amen Rick! I agree with this 100%!
Posted Image

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,662 posts
Just a reminder:

* Voting for overall winner: Dec. 27 through Jan. 1

* BOTY WINNER TO BE ANNOUNCED JANUARY 2nd 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users