Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

JMC re opens its doors

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Mike Weidemann

Mike Weidemann

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
I had a very nice phone call today from Jim Melton...I had a JMC cruiser frameset forsale in the sale section here at bmxs. Jim inquired about the frameset, wanted it for his son inlaw whom resides in Azusa. I was more then thrilled to have him on the phone. I have about 14 JMC framesets so we talked in depth about where most of them went to from JMC. Jim has all the names and addresses of all the framesets hes sold. After talking for a while we got back to talkin about his son in law whom works for the aerospace industry. Jim told me his son in law is in the early stages of reopening JMC frames/bicycles. I was thrilled to hear this from Jim . The framesets are goin to be alot like the old framesets but with the new technology, 1 1/8 headsets, canti mts, etc.. I asked Jim when he thought they would be ready and he said maybe by mid 2013. I told him they needed to get a list out so people could pre order, myself included. I know theres several dedicated jmc enthusiests here and wanted to let everyone know. I asked Jim if hes told anyone and he said not many. He also said it was ok to start letting people know.Jims 83 years old and he sounds like hes excited about the new framesets, lord knows I am, what do ya think. :)

Edited by Mike Weidemann, 04 February 2012 - 07:11 PM.

GlennS

GlennS

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I always wanted to add at least one JMC to my small collection of bikes.
Never thought I would see anything new school from them.
I'm sure if they build it, they will sell everything they make.
Good for Mr Melton and his fmily.

FeelixX26

FeelixX26

• Site Patron
  • 752 posts
:break: :rawks: :break:

Just..Me..Chillin'

Just..Me..Chillin'

Dean of Old School Science

• Site Benefactor
  • 6167 posts
I'm happy for Jim, if it makes him happy - but personally I have no interest .....

I collect trinkets from when I was a young man - I don't race or need to keep up with modern geomotry or equipment - the new stuff is meaningless to me, I don't even do retro, not that it's a bad thing, I just have no interest in it.... Time is limited in today's world and if I do find a minute to enjoy the bikes I have, it's minimal time and the old fills my void and need. And I bearly have time for the old never mind finding more for the new etc.
All I could say - opinion wise - I had heard through the grape vine about Jim's recent Cali excursion and didn't want to call Jim on the possibilities of it, we have spoken recently but I did't inquire - figure if Jim's held out this long, it would be handled respectfully.

In hopes of keeping it prestigious though - JMC to me was always about integrity and never giving into the wave or th masses - I'd expect super high standards, like I'd hate to think the frames were to be manufactured anywhere other then in the US with US materials - that alone is gonna cost a substantial amount (don't know how well a new school you g market will take it, but that's all to be seen I suppose) - I mean isn't the overseas market and refusing to give in to it, why Jim closed his doors in the first place ?

Personally I don't understand why a true core collector would have any interest in a new product, but I understand some like retro --- again not my thing --- my only concern as I would think most are - is the integrity being kept for the past - no limited reissue exact dupe crap and the like. It'd be way cool if it was done like ESP has handled they're return and vowing not to traipse on the past for the sake of a buck ---- they're new stuff is done respectfully with just as much passion and innovation.
I'm so hoping the bars are completely distinguishable from the old.

Oh well I guess we'll see what happens - jmc's integrity is one of the things that's kept this hobby interesting and real to me - especially in recent yrs with all the knock off and retro and scammer repooper influx - I really hope it doesn't kill it for me, goods thing never last they say, but I was really hoping this one thing would duck that eventuality.
Posted Image

Brian Hays

Brian Hays

Forum God

• Sustaining Member
  • 4903 posts
Ya, Im feelin the same way^^^^^^ Plenty of newschool rides out there to ride. Hope the JMC legacy isnt lost in an ill fated attempt.....
Posted Image

broke L345

broke L345

Forum god

• Site Patron
  • 2526 posts
I like the idea of a modernised JMC, so long as it is truly a race machine, the reproduced mongoose was a bit of a joke in my opinion.

I wish him luck, he is one of the true gentlemen of BMX
Posted Image

BMXROB

BMXROB

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts
A US made bike is good news in my book. I have no interest in modern bikes but so what, theres a market for it beyond us and JMC obviously can make a kick ass bike so best wishes in their new venture.

MelvinsArmy

MelvinsArmy

Forum god

• Sustaining Member
  • 2724 posts
As long as it was a proper retro as described with threadless headset and canti mounts and made in USA to the standards of the original I'd be into it. If it is not made in USA, I have no interest at all. I too don't want to see any exact duplicate bars or anything like that. Like Marcos said about the ESP redo, do it like that.

2blader

2blader

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts
ummm never mind.

I am the owl...

I am the owl...

Sinner

• Site Patron
  • 5428 posts
Sorry, but that bums me out. Retro or not, and I have never owned a JMC....

larsvegas43

larsvegas43

• Users
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
But who in BMX, besides the old school/retro guys, would be interested in new JMC products?

shinglehead

shinglehead

• Sustaining Member
  • 673 posts
Lost quite a bit of luster since Jim wasn't the one to break the news.......
I think there are plenty of people still racing that know what the brand JMC meant to the history of modern frame design, starting with the DY. As long as it's truly a modern race design, why not? A guy like me that has raced on and off over the years might just be ready for a new machine to at least hit up some practice time on the track.
Hmmm.....we'll see I guess.

relentlessmx

relentlessmx

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Member
  • 297 posts
I'll wait to see it. Legend can strike twice, I would buy one if I like it. After seeing the 24" T/A's....heck yes, I paid for one. Can it be passed off as original? Hardly. Is it different from the onslaught of newschool stuff? At times. Unlike alot of you, I embrace anything related to BMX (with the exception of new parts being passed off as OG). There is a difference between getting back into the game VS trying to be a con artist. Brands that stopped production BITD lends to the human instinct to 'absolutely must have' these items and the resulting high prices and coveting of said parts. Several guys will hold their stance of "Won't touch it" and offer disgust with the notion that the market may sour with newer products by an old company. They obviously will not be purchasing...but many many will be. I applaud Jim in his desire to continue the JMC tradition and bloodline.

vintage chromoly

vintage chromoly

• Sustaining Member
  • 1757 posts
i agree with marcos.

i'm not into retro stuff in general.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 16691 posts
I'd heard murmurings that this was coming. I will remain optimistic, if a little bit guardedly. It could very well be something that many of us will enthusiastically support. If Jim endorses it... that's a safe assumption.

You know we love you Jim, and I especially appreciate your support of this site. You are one of a few of the "legends" who regularly submit site support funds. We are lucky to have you here at all... not to mention pitching in. When you ordered the long sleeve shirt I happily imagined you might be strolling around the hills of Missouri wearing BMX Society colors! Also the fact that you would have a JMC reunion at our gathering is humbling and another true honor for us.

So, I support you, and in the spirit of an "open letter" I will echo the concern already mentioned about exact copies of bars and posts. That would be heartbreaking to many of us. I'm sure you are above that, and it may never have been a consideration. We have no reason to think otherwise, save for the fact that we've seen others roll out on the re-issue band wagon so many times the last few years, and some times it's been too close for comfort. (yes the knurling is 2mm different or has different cross hatch pattern Posted Image ).

I think the sense of caution that some here might be feeling boils down to this:
JMC = purity, for many of us. From the mom & pop origins, to the old school team of the early 80's that was a grouping of champions that never had to cut corners on sportsmanship to win, to the products that were unique and the highest caliber and quality of craftsmanship, and finally back full circle to 30 years later with Jim finding time to answer all of our goofball e-mails and phone calls picking at every detail of production and company history.

So please don't take any of this wrong. Absolutely no disrespect intended. Like I say... you and your company are about as close to perfect as we've ever seen in Old School BMX history. We really do treasure the JMC legacy and that's why you will see the expression of some concern. Especially here on this site. I hope that concern is always expressed with tact and humility. Ultimately though... it's a little embarrassing to even make suggestions/requests. It is your company after all... and we all acknowledge that. I will be interested to see what JMC 2.0 has in store for us. :)

wagonguy

wagonguy

Forum god

• Staff
  • 2519 posts

But who in BMX, besides the old school/retro guys, would be interested in new JMC products?

Who would be interested in a GT? or a GHP? Lots of people these days seem to be. Make a viable modern product, and people will buy them. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

Doug

bmx2112

bmx2112

ya dig!

• Sustaining Member
  • 10791 posts
I think its cool if they put out a new school bike, why not? Its new school and I think it would be cool to see JMC bust out on the race scene with a quality USA made f&f. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

cward

cward

• Sustaining Member
  • 803 posts
If they were American hand crafted beauties like BITD, but modernized I would be okay with it, as long as they used a different name. Maybe the same shield logo with different initials?
If so, then I would be into a cruiser for sure.

bmxjim

bmxjim

Mr. Melton

• V.I.P. Member
  • 71 posts
John my youngest daughter's husband worked for me at JMC while he was going to College. He more then likely knows more about making bicycles then I do. I didn't even knbow he was interest in it until a couple of months ago. He is a very successful engineer. He more then likely can spell better then me also. I will be the head of the co. as long as I am able. Then my daughter will take over. We could change the name to CMJ, Carla Melton Jansen. Just reversed. They will be made in the USA! I don't think they will be cheap. Every thing will be re-designed. The old stuff will still have it's place. We may also make a 26". John & his boys will do most of the work. All we we will be missing is a Vera and a Shirley. Shirley was the best secretary that anybody could of had. We are hoping that some of our JMC Team members will have some input into it also. We will try to do it right. Thanks guys & gals!

Jim Melton

cward

cward

• Sustaining Member
  • 803 posts
That is awesome!!! Okay, I'm pretty stoked nowPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BMXsociety Show The Bicycle Source Fireman's Bikes Rick's Bike Shop Bike_of_the_year