Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

BOTTEMA Forks

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

greyboy

greyboy

Forum god

• Site Patron
  • 2673 posts
Hey everyone!
Im very happy to announce that i will be teaming up with BMX legend Jeff Bottema to produce a fully authorized, american made, re-issue of his famous M-1 'bullet fork' (the large dropout style)
They will be exact replicas, 1 1/8" threadless, handmade in so cal, full 4130 chromoly tubing. 16", 20", 24", & 26" sizes.

The first 20 sets of forks will be finished and available for sale at the June 4th BMX Society OS gathering, then online at www.bottemaforks.com

FB users can add us here: http://www.facebook....176928745687948

The exact price hasnt been set as of yet, but i dont like it when people post things like this with no price at all, so i can tell you that they will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 200.00. As soon as the exact price is figured out, i will let you guys know.

I will keep this thread posted with progress and pics of the first sample when its done in a few weeks. :Liv2ride:

Attached Thumbnails

• BOTTEMAsuperiorAD.jpg

bmx bandit

bmx bandit

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1750 posts
Meh.. Good for someone I guess.
and I know you have done much more for the hobby then I will ever acheive.
I really hope that the main Companies do not get on board with this wonderful trend.. Gt and Haro come to mind.
I said it several years ago.. this is becomming more and more like skateboarding.. this kind of stuff really killed the joy of the hunt. (Once the big companies got involved.. Powell, Santa Cruz, Vision, Skull Skates, Tracker, Zorolac, Alva, Schmidt Stix exc exc.) Left a sour taste in my mouth too. Just makes things "too easy" and kinda lame imho.
We have seen the beginning,, (Ame, SE, Hutch, CW) come to mind..
Wait and see.. If this becomes standard, it is like I dunno, drinking watered down whiskey. Still cool, just does not have the same "bite" as what it once did.
What is really weird is when the repro's take on a life of their own..
Ohh Ohh Look: One year only "blue and Yellow" repro 2008 Mike V Elephant deck selling for twice the price a year later? lol I truly dont get that part of it..

Edited by bmx bandit, 30 March 2011 - 09:16 PM.

shinburger

shinburger

Doctor recommended

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts
Unfuckinbelieveable... Why? actually nevermind.. at least it's Jeff's og company I guess.

COASTY

COASTY

bronzed Aussie

• Sustaining Member
  • 3493 posts
mmmm Like above, At least it's Jeff.
Posted Image

RCain

RCain

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Are these going to available in raw finish?
I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of stripping them before I fill in the sn's and re sell them as OG.

As a collector myself im very sensitive to the 'repop' issues in the hobby, even with authorized reproductions, and so each pair of forks will be marked on the inside face of each dropout with a letter and number serial designation before plating.

Sensitive enough to mention it, just not sensitive enough to not try and make a buck off of it.
Please explain how this is better than the GHP offering that was so roundly blasted here a few months ago.

diesel

diesel

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
Only my opinion, but unless they are 1 1/8" threadless for that 'retro look'. then they are just another set of repoped forks (with or without Jeff's input).

I think that Retro is cool, but I'm not on it with these, sorry and I'm sure that you've put a lot of effort into getting these made.

On a more positive note: I could really see them flying off the shelves if they were say 20, 24 & 26" 1 1/8" that fitted the se line up, kappa's etc. and maybe featured screw in lugs for V brakes.

broke L345

broke L345

Forum god

• Site Patron
  • 2523 posts
would have been more excited if they were a head :Idunno:
Posted Image

Kerry

Kerry

Forum god

• Site Benefactor
  • 5672 posts
douchy

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Admin
  • 7943 posts
I haven't seen the forks to pass judgement. But why not put the stamps on the outside of the drop-out so people can see they are re-issues immediately. What harm is there in that? If you're not worried about your rig running poser forks why hide the fact, especially if it is on a retro bike. Unless the intent is to fool people when using them on OG frames.

While I am glad you are making the effort to mark these, I don't see how you of all people would want these to exist any any form other than 1-1/8 threadless. These are such an iconic fork, some things are sacred and should just be left alone. Of course, IMO, all should be left alone.

keep_it_warm

keep_it_warm

Sweet Oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • 5005 posts
I really don't have anything to say.

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Sustaining Member
  • 5009 posts
I read this yesterday afternoon. I was chatting with another member at the time it hit. I think we both had the same reaction (or are still having the same reaction)...

Dumbfounded.

Why not retro Andreas?

Research.Contributor.Signature.png

Just..Me..Chillin'

Just..Me..Chillin'

Dean of Old School Science

• Site Benefactor
  • 6097 posts
wack.
Posted Image

3rdgear

3rdgear

arrogant asshole

• Sustaining Member
  • 3621 posts
Hypocrite

SEADOOIT

SEADOOIT

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3834 posts
i bet they sell out before they are made

greyboy

greyboy

Forum god

• Site Patron
  • 2673 posts
haha...DAYUM!! tell me how you really feel!!!

but seriously, you havent even seen them yet!! :power.of.suggestion: this is a collaboration between myself and JEFF BOTTEMA... AUTHORIZED reprodutions that will be CLEARLY MARKED :nah.I.mean:

cant wait to see you guys on june 4th! ahhahahaha

mhttnbch-ca

mhttnbch-ca

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

haha...DAYUM!! tell me how you really feel!!!

but seriously, you havent even seen them yet!! Posted Image this is a collaboration between myself and JEFF BOTTEMA... AUTHORIZED reprodutions that will be CLEARLY MARKED Posted Image

cant wait to see you guys on june 4th! ahhahahaha

...and he's even laughing at you now too!

mcam

mcam

Done building, Just Observing :)

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2346 posts

Hypocrite

So true! At least they'll be a hit on the museum :)

Edited by mcam, 31 March 2011 - 05:54 PM.

williwoods

williwoods

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1612 posts
Im sure Grey isnt surprised by the reaction here or at the museum.

greyboy

greyboy

Forum god

• Site Patron
  • 2673 posts
hypocrite??? you dont see me on the repop threads, go check em, sorry to disappoint you. and im not surprised by the reaction, its all good.

you dont have to buy em :ThumbsUp:

its funny how you guys bag on museum when most of the people here are over there too, and not only that, but the best deals on used parts are on museum and the most survivor bikes surface on museum..thats why i go there :writing:

Brian Hays

Brian Hays

Forum God

• Sustaining Member
  • 4826 posts
Completely dumbfounded. Guess it really is all about the money.....
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BMXsociety Show The Bicycle Source Fireman's Bikes Rick's Bike Shop Bike_of_the_year