Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ABS - Ashtabula Forge - A White Paper by Sodbuster

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,555 posts
What follows is the type of research this site was designed to host. I'd like to thank Sodbuster for this very well researched and beautifully presented paper on this historically important BMX company and their products. It's been too long, frankly, since we've had a proper research paper presented here. Thanks again to those who've submitted them in the past, and I urge those of you who are interested in getting one together in the future to by all means follow through. We welcome this sort of thing. Yes, our standards are high... but who is better qualified to produce this sort of thing than you guys?

You guys make this site amazing. Thanks for being you.

Without further adieu, I present the latest BMX Society Research Project. This is presented by Brian Gutierrez, better known to most of you as "Sodbuster". Brian is a scholar and a gentleman in the true sense.

ABS - The Ashtabula Forge - A White Paper

by Brian "Sodbuster" Gutierrez

Ashtabula.1.Coverpage.jpg

Click the link below to download the entire 16 page paper.

http://www.bmxsociet...-BMXsociety.pdf

tags: ashtabula, mongoose, bmx products, black magix, 70's bmx, thun, one piece cranks, Schwinn

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,555 posts
This file is really big. I will try to get it down to a more manageable size... but I didn't want to delay this any longer.

*edit - file size now reduced to something way more reasonable.

mongoosedrummer

mongoosedrummer

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
Yes!!! :bowdownAll:
Posted Image

1966bmx

1966bmx

Grumpy Old Fart

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!! thanks brian . i knew youhad been working on that . i just printed the whole thing out. great info . and i know how hard you worked on it . Posted Image
Posted Image

seda

seda

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

This file is really big. I will try to get it down to a more manageable size... but I didn't want to delay this any longer.

The lights dimmed when that 141MB file hit the hard drive. :)

Great work, Sod. Reading the company's history with Schwinn was interesting. Adds another layer to the "Schwinn Approved" juggernaut. I wonder if all unstamped Ashtabula cranks you find these days were once on a Schwinn?

nycet3

nycet3

• Site Patron
  • 1,902 posts
That is very cool. Read the first page and will definitely be reading the whole paper.
Nicely done.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,555 posts
Morning bump...

I know this seems long, and it's a big file ( I hope to get it down to something more reasonable) but this is so worth while. It's not as text heavy on all pages. There's lots of pictures, and a couple of the 16 pages are nothing but pictures. :wink: Point is... it's very enjoyable and I hope no one will be put off by the size.

Posted Image

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,555 posts
Good news... thanks to our man, Chromey. The Ashtabula White Paper is now a much more manageable 45mb. Due to the way I did the lay out he couldn't get it smaller than that. But It's now less than 1/3 of what it was, and that's a great thing.

http://www.bmxsociet...-BMXsociety.pdf

The link in the first post has been changed too.

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
This is certainly the only Whitepaper where you'll find the term "WTF". :lol:

That's some extensive research Brian. You really up the game as far as researching these old bikes and parts is concerned. Incredible work. You're the Ashtab guru for sure. Nicely done.

Oil your Ashtabula people. (Is that what the kids are calling it these days?)

Research.Contributor.Signature.png

1966bmx

1966bmx

Grumpy Old Fart

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
wow thanks guys . and this should be required reading for all old school fanatics ! ...i learned a ton from it .
Posted Image

Monster-Robot

Monster-Robot

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
A very fine read! Excellent work!

It nicely ties up all of those loose bits of info that have been floating around and greatly adds to the BMX ontology.
Posted Image

reilley1

reilley1

Forum dog

• Sustaining Member
  • 4,206 posts
Great work for sure.

Roc

Roc

"70's Pimp"

• Site Patron
  • 819 posts
Most Excellent!! :ThumbsUp:

I think we need a Classic Forum here to keep such credible pieces as this from getting lost several pages back in some of the minutia that get's posted. The Mel thread and many other Classic threads here need there own place without getting buried.

I'm sure the power's that be, can create a Classic Riding, Research & Collecting block?

Maybe my med's are too strong... IDK. :lol:
Posted Image

TrulyOdd

TrulyOdd

Forum god

• Admin
  • 6,606 posts
great article 36_2_25%5B1%5D.gif

real informative. the photo's and ad's are rad too. i can definitely see all the work that went into that. thanks.gif

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Site Patron
  • 8,169 posts
How lucky are we at this site? Incredible schoolin' being had with that article. Lots of information yet very interesting and felt myself really immersed in all that was being put out. Thanks Sod, tremendous effort and work. I totally appreciate it!

dewabo

dewabo

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
NOW thats what I talking about! I've read it 6 times already...Great work Brian
Posted Image

sodbuster

sodbuster

Reclusive curmudgeon

• Site Patron
  • 3,195 posts
I'm glad you kids like it! Thanks to Steve for some great Photoshop work and a gentle nudge now and again since last November when I first told him about this piece I was working on. Monster Robot and Rip Van Winkle both get big ups too. Michael and Ron were generous with full size scans from there archives for me to use. thanks again gents! Posted Image

Research.Contributor.Signature.png
MOTOLOGO.Signature.gif

moosegoose nick

moosegoose nick

• Site Patron
  • 1,862 posts
:bowdownAll: That is some darn good readin there Brian. Found out a lot about the old Black parts.

Contender

Contender

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
Good read!

Was able to date my cranks without removing them!

Chrome, 180s 1981!

:)

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,555 posts
Bumping for those of you who didn't have time to read this during the work week.

You will enjoy this, and be glad you gave 15 minutes of your weekend to educate yourself on this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mongoose

-----
Uploaded by Cool Roy
10 June 2010 - 12:15 PM
531 Views · 0 Comments

Stem

****-
HELIX BMX OS-BMX 2004
Uploaded by SHADESSEAN
05 March 2010 - 04:24 AM