Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Brackens everything

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 16702 posts
Please post everything conceivable about the Brackens company, bikes and racers. If anyone can do a brief (or extended) company history that would be great.

Advert from Sept 1990 American BMXer

Attached Thumbnails

• BrackensAd_AmericanBMXerSept1990.jpg

Green Griffin 420

Green Griffin 420

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Here's pics of my f/f.

XL010

b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg
b5.jpg

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 16702 posts
Thanks, man... that looks real nice.

Seems like this thread would be at least one page long by now... no one has anything to contribute?

Tests, Ads... photos?

RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

Kook

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3552 posts
b6.jpg

I have a Brackens Junior, but I built it up like pooh so I'm going to change the bars, cranks, pedals, seat and wheels.

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Admin
  • 7987 posts
Bars

brackens_bars.jpg

Pads

brackens_pads.jpg

My early/anomaly complete

My_Brackens.jpg

Green Griffin 420

Green Griffin 420

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Spur

does your downtube and fork decals have the word Brackens in yellow script like the pads you pictured. My head tube and seat tube have black wrighting like the expert pictured, and I can't tell if his down tube and fork have the script. My fork obviously does not.

I also noticed that the 1990 ad shows the yellow script on the down tube, and I'm wondering which years have which decals.

do you know what year yours is? And what's the anomaly?

r-reekie

r-reekie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
Sheep Dog Mobile

Brackenssheepdog.jpg

sheepdoglist.jpg

I will try to dig up some more I know I have pics of my NOS Black Frame set some were.

3rdgear

3rdgear

arrogant asshole

• Sustaining Member
  • 3621 posts
Mine...
Don't mind the ugly dude in the pic.

051.jpg

Green Griffin 420

Green Griffin 420

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
The funny thig is, that is an ELF not a Brackens.

Sheep Dog Mobile
Posted Image

I will try to dig up some more I know I have pics of my NOS Black Frame set some were.

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Admin
  • 7987 posts
Not an elf.

Green Griffin 420

Green Griffin 420

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Your right elfs didn't have the down tube gusset at the head tube.

But I still don't think its a Brackens. drilled dropouts front and rear is some think I've never seen on a Brackens.

Not an elf.

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Admin
  • 7987 posts

Spur

does your downtube and fork decals have the word Brackens in yellow script like the pads you pictured. My head tube and seat tube have black wrighting like the expert pictured, and I can't tell if his down tube and fork have the script. My fork obviously does not.

I'll have to look (although these are not the OG decals to the frame, RCRSCOTT reproductions) which will eventually be changed out to an OG set decals

I also noticed that the 1990 ad shows the yellow script on the down tube, and I'm wondering which years have which decals.

do you know what year yours is? And what's the anomaly?

It is thought mine is an early B&E version, before the raised stays/gusset. It is identical to a Badd and Co, but does not have a Badd and Co serial (They were BCPLxxxxx, OR BCPXXXXX) mine is BPL from what I have been told by someone connected to Tommy is that the single B designated it was B&E built. I have never seen a Badd with that serial and have yet to see another Brackens this way. I have seen a few different versions of early Brackens and all had different characteristics not to mention throwing B&E in the mix and it was a crap shoot, S&M Dirtbikes with Badd serial numbers etc. Not to mention some were made by cw which were farmed to B&E, some Tommy welded..

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Admin
  • 7987 posts

But I still don't think its a Brackens. drilled dropouts front and rear is some think I've never seen on a Brackens.

Not an elf.

No that is just one of the many early versions of the earliest of Brackens, look at the drops on mine, GHP'ish. Early Brackens did not have the elevated chain stays or that big triangle gussett on the bottom of the stays. Most likely Hull's is an early Prototype, not to mention his is the only painted one I have ever seen either.

Green Griffin 420

Green Griffin 420

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Not an elf.

No that is just one of the many early versions of the earliest of Brackens, look at the drops on mine, GHP'ish. Early Brackens did not have the elevated chain stays or that big triangle gussett on the bottom of the stays. Most likely Hull's is an early Prototype, not to mention his is the only painted one I have ever seen either.

It says stock frame. It wasn't uncommon for pros to put sponsors decals on another manufacturers frame, they still do. You guys on the west coast have seen alot more BMX than I have so I apologize for the mistake.

r-reekie

r-reekie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
Brackensadd.jpg

r-reekie

r-reekie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
These are pics of my NOS frame set. I will try to find out what company built this frame. the story goes Tommy had a bunch of frames made and payment was never made so they sat at the bike builders place non stamped. after some time the builder sold them off in raw form for the bike shops to have finished. so you never know what color they may come in mine is Black. no searial# These pics were taken by Perry.
Brackens1.jpg

Brackens2.jpg

Brackens3.jpg

Brackens4.jpg

Brackens5.jpg

Brackens6.jpg

Brackens7.jpg

Brackens8.jpg

Green Griffin 420

Green Griffin 420

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I've never seen a painted one, other than the one in the add above.

Green Griffin 420

Green Griffin 420

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Since S.Brothers sort of set this up for information, here's some info spur has given me in another thread.

Chainstay Brace differences.

B&E welded frames have the brace on top of the chainstay (typically), yours is between the stays. I believe yours is one welded up by Johnny Severin. I sent him an e-mail to verify but I believe this to be true. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something.

Serial Numbers for Severin built frames.

The Severin Built frames were built in 92 (not sure how long after). He confirmed that he used the tube brace between the chainstays.

Standard Pro's started with the serial numbers S001-S025 and etc.
XL's started with X001-X0025 etc.

I know yours starts with XL, so it might not have been Severin, but with the tube brace odds are it is a later frameset, post 1990 for sure.

I'll bug him again to see if XL is one of his too.

Thanks for your help spur.

And thanks r-reekie for the heads up.

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Admin
  • 7987 posts
John also seemed to confirm the existence of some painted frames too. He said to verify the ones he did was to scratch some of the paint off a joint. If they were brazed, they were his. He said he did a few frames this way.

Green Griffin 420

Green Griffin 420

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Spur do you think those SN for Severin frames, would also be similar? Cruiser be C001, etc, and a Mini be M001, etc?

I also have contacted one of the guys on the museaum about their Brackens frames and SN's. So far I have this.

TBCXXXX is Tommy Brackens Cruiser, I assume, and the build number. His is an 87. Anyone else have a TB serial number?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BMXsociety Show The Bicycle Source Fireman's Bikes Rick's Bike Shop Bike_of_the_year