Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

MCS stems!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

OLDSKOOLPK

OLDSKOOLPK

WEE-MAN

• Supporting Member
  • 5,479 posts
I am in the process of maybe using one of these on a new build.....

I have seen 4 and 6 bolt stems, all one color, 2 colors (base is silver, cap is red/blue/black etc)

what year did the 4 bolts come out (what i have)??? I see in the parts forum that the 6 bolt were early 80's. Also were these available in mini, standard, XL? The one i have is Tiny compared to what i have seen on here and at Smokin Endo's MAN CAVE!!! ... (thanks Brian for picking that out and making me think :lol: !)

any info...pics of what you have???

LMK guys!!! Im curious and confused! :blink:

jjvh66

jjvh66

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Look at post 45.

http://www.os-bmx.co...?showtopic=8587

forman

forman

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
LMK guys!!! Im curious and confused! blink.gif

are you coming out !! :)

rumblerdave

rumblerdave

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
The 6 bolt stems are late 70's - early 1981, as are the MINI 4 bolt stems... the FULL size 4 bolts stem came out in early 1981... the MCS stem was known as the "ZF" stem for Zero Failure...

MCS ad from July 1981, introducing new 4 bolt Pro size stem
Posted Image

OLDSKOOLPK

OLDSKOOLPK

WEE-MAN

• Supporting Member
  • 5,479 posts
here is the stem that I have.......looks like none that are pictured here.... :blink:

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0011__4_.jpg
  • PICT0010__4_.jpg

The 26incher

The 26incher

Forum god

• Sustaining Member
  • 3,331 posts
The MCS 4 bolt stem I have looks just like that one in the ad. Real block'ie and flat...

bmx2112

bmx2112

ya dig!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,837 posts
Yours is like this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1_Reaper089.JPG
  • 1_Reaper090.JPG

OLDSKOOLPK

OLDSKOOLPK

WEE-MAN

• Supporting Member
  • 5,479 posts
Yup!!! Whatcha thinkin on a year Brett????? its on my Pistol Pete (for now) too late for a 1983 build?????

rumblerdave

rumblerdave

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Those curved front stems are later, mid- late 80's. Not sure when they changed them from the more squared off early style ones...

and those later stems did come in a longer reach version, too...

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
I had a 4 bolt one that came on my XL24 (sold the stem).

Posted Image

vintage chromoly

vintage chromoly

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
what's the going rate for one like andy has?

i just picked one up and was wondering.

here's mine:

new_ta_clouds_004.JPG

rumblerdave

rumblerdave

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
They are all over the place price wise- I've seen them bring up to $250 for clean, early colored ones, as low as $50- $75 for later silver ones.

Johnny Johnson

Johnny Johnson

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
Eddy King ran a 6 bolt MCS stem on his Torker, while on Torker factory team, befoe the invention of the Torker stem.
It was the stem he really liked at the time.
There was a Torker ad that ran with a complete bike that had an MCS stem on it too.

PlanetX

PlanetX

Forum god

• Supporting Member
  • 3,136 posts

Eddy King ran a 6 bolt MCS stem on his Torker, while on Torker factory team, befoe the invention of the Torker stem.
It was the stem he really liked at the time.
There was a Torker ad that ran with a complete bike that had an MCS stem on it too.

+1 on that.

I've been looking for a gold, 6-bolt for a long time for my 1979 Torker. Keep losing them on eBay. Torker spec'd them on the early 1979 Torkflytes and Maxflytes. The Torker stem came out in mid-1979 and has the same reach as the MCS stem--1/4" shorter than Tuf-Necks.

Generally, the prices on MCS stems are much lower than Tuf-Necks and Torker stems, but not super low.

My first alloy/chromo stem was a red MCS 6-bolt. I think I left it in my grandma's garage when I got my Torker stem for my birthday in 1980. After she passed away, I think it landed in my cousin's hands. (His parents cleaned out her garage. I've already found my G.I. Joes and other toys at his house. His mom thought they were his. But when I said, wow, where'd you get my G.I. Joes? he gave them back to me.) I have no recollection at all what i did with it, but he said he has one in his attic somewhere. I know it wasn't his because he was a lot smarter with his $ BITD and once he built his bike he never changed a thing. He was a Tuf-Neck guy.

Research.Contributor.Signature.png

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,839 posts
thought I had already posted this ad from 82, must have been another thread. Here it is again just for the record. I'll see what I else I can find.

Attached Thumbnails

• MCS_frontload_ad1982.jpg

Mike999

Mike999
  • Users
  • 1 posts
I got my first MCS 6 Bolt around '78. I remember the fluted alloy bars twisting around in it, but the stem never slipped.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,839 posts
This is a freestyle stem, and not such a great pic, but we'll add it to the thread all the same.

This is from the May 1986 Product Guide in BMXaction

Attached Images

• MCSstylerStem.May86bmxa.jpg

84pk

84pk

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
Yo Jon... PeeP this.

I am the original owner and bought it back in 82. I have never seen another 4bolt like it. I wouldn't consider it a mini. I raced with it on my pk for years. It's home on my pl24 now.

Let me know if anybody has seen another with the drilled out cap.

Attached Thumbnails

• mcs001.jpg
  • mcs002.jpg

williwoods

williwoods

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
I wanna see that Floval in the background......looks HOT.

84pk

84pk

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

I wanna see that Floval in the background......looks HOT.

In time my man. It still needs wheels. I gonna try to have my collection posted up here in a few weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Brackens

-----
Uploaded by mongoose two four
24 April 2011 - 11:26 AM
969 Views · 0 Comments

Other

-----
whale tail
Uploaded by vintage chromoly
27 February 2010 - 07:46 PM