BMX Society community forums: 1979 Rampar R10 - BOTY Survivor Worthy? - Riding, Research & Collecting - BMX Society community forums

1979 Rampar R10 - BOTY Survivor Worthy?

• Please log in to reply
1979 Rampar R10 - BOTY Survivor Worthy?

#1 lboorse2 Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

• View gallery
  • Group: Sustaining Member
  • posts 4938

I picked up a Rampar R-10 from my boy Wade (Baron340) a month or so ago. (Thanks Wade!). Part of my goal as I begin to assemble a collection is to find bikes that strike some personal memory of BITD for me.

In Christmas 79 or 80, two brothers who lived down the block from me got Rampars for Christmas. They were definitely the top-dogs on the street for a while. I remember the blue and gold vividly to this day.

Well, the one I picked up from Wade is a sweet survivor. It's got a little wear and tear, but is pretty much very clean and straight. It was well taken care of over the years. The only non-original parts are the tires. At some point in its life, the tires were replaced with Panaracer style freestyle tires. There's no way I can date the tires themselves (to my knowledge), but the sidewalls show a little dryness.

I really want to enter this in the BOTY as a survivor as I think it's a great example of this model in used original condition. The tires may have very well be put on in the early 80's (I think this type of tire was introduced around 83), but then again, they could have been put on last year. I'm really not sure. I debated about putting tires from another 1980 survivor I have -- not sure what to do.

What are your thoughts, can this go in as a survivor as-is? Or should it be entered in the regular class? Or should I get off my ass and get the correct tires (used) for it?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1554.JPG
  • IMG_1558.JPG

Posted Image

#2 broke L345 Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:14 AM

• Group: Site Patron
  • posts 2501

I'd change the tires personally but it's fine either way, nice survivor!!
Posted Image

#3 OldCorps Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:32 AM

• View gallery
  • Group: Users
  • posts 192

Thats awesome! It needs some big old school knobbies front & rear like it came with BITD. I love it either way because the R10 was my first real BMX & I purchased it myself with paper route money. It was flat black with chrome rims. How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

#4 S.Brothers Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

• View gallery
  • Group: Admin
  • posts 16124

Lee, this is kind of a tough one, however... if those seem like they are more or less unridden tires... I'd urge you to seek out something a little more appropriate. I think if people go with the most conservative reading/interpretation of the rules that they can conceive of... then generally fewer questions will arise about their submissions.

#5 shinburger Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

• View gallery
  • posts 3365

Change tires, yank the reflectors and chainguard then enter it :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

P.S. I can't vote for anything with a chainguard or reflectors just on principle alone LOL you can always put'em back on.

#6 RipVanWinkle Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

• View gallery
  • posts 3552

I picked up a R10 last month and got some pads from todzilla. I think the tires on my bike are original... I'll check in the morning. 4mykids has an original seat to replace the honked one that came with it. I'm with shinburger because I hate reflectors. The chaingaurd was already M.I.A. Now if I can get the damn Oakley grips cleaner.

http://www.os-bmx.co...o...9&hl=rampar

Nice survivor lboorse2, what is the serial number on that ride?

#7 Contender Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

• posts 2178

I had an R 10 in red like VanWinkle's bike. It was my first real bmxer after a long line of Western Flyers.

Seat was great, cranks were long, and it was pretty squirrely on gravel roads. Mine came with a coaster and steel rims.

Great bike.

A.G.

#8 Astrodamus Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

• posts 4910

Change tires, yank the reflectors and chainguard then enter it :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

P.S. I can't vote for anything with a chainguard or reflectors just on principle alone LOL you can always put'em back on.

I agree about the tires, but disagree about the reflectors and chainguard.

If it's bone-stock, that is the truest definition of survivor (not the only definition, but in my opinion the most true).

#9 OldCorps Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:59 PM

• View gallery
  • posts 192

I agree about the tires, but disagree about the reflectors and chainguard.

If it's bone-stock, that is the truest definition of survivor (not the only definition, but in my opinion the most true).

I agree that the tires need to be changed, 20x1.25 is what came with it front & rear with BIG moto-x knobbies as I recall, but this 14 yo(at the time of course!)yanked the chain guard & reflectors off as soon as I got it home. Just wasn't acceptable to leave those accessories on BITD!

#10 Guest_BridgeCityBikes_* Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

• Guest_BridgeCityBikes_*
  • Group: Guests

see the 1979 us catalog here to compare to bone stock.
http://www.thrill.to/RaleighBurner

Personally, I love Rampar as the beginning of BMX bikes for most of us which puts Rampar very high on the level of historical significance, in my opinion....... but it seems that poor ol Rampar is denied by folks nowadays. Last spring a mint blue r10 survivor with everything intact and stock sold for a measly 65 bucks on ebay. i couldn't believe there was no interest. :(

This is my Rampar survivor but it wouldn't even be worthy of a submission because BOTY on this site brings out some fascinating exotic entries.

Posted Image

#11 mr coasterbrake Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

• posts 810

as long as they are actual old tires and been there for a long time, i'd be fine with them.

remember, even though they are more associated with freestyle, those panaracers and the tiogas etc, were originally "stadium" tires...for racing the indoor concrete tracks.
Posted Image

#12 lboorse2 Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:21 AM

• View gallery
  • posts 4938

as long as they are actual old tires and been there for a long time, i'd be fine with them.

And that's the tough part -- I just have no way to tell. They are dry on the sides, but the tread is very good.

Hmm. I guess my long-term plan is to get the correct tires. I actually have those Panaracer knock-offs slated for another build (unless I can come up with the actual Panaracers in the next 3 months or so).

I don't think I'm going to try to rush to get the correct tires this week just to enter it. If someone local had a set, maybe... I don't want to get into the huge rush to get it ready and hope I have decent weather to snap new pics next week. I think I'm getting overly zealous and just wanted to get this in along with two other entries.

Thanks for the input from everyone!
Posted Image

#13 lboorse2 Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:27 AM

• View gallery
  • posts 4938

How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

I actually picked it up in a trade. I can tell he was trying to sell this for $100 and wasn't getting offers -- which is funny since the pad sets can occasionally get pricey.
Posted Image

#14 RipVanWinkle Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:03 AM

• View gallery
  • posts 3552

I checked my R10 tires, Kenda 2.125, worn tread, dry cracked sides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users