Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

GHP info (company)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
Here's my 84 Cycle Pro Hill Replica for comparison (poor light and bad chrome -- this just looks like crap after Andy's GHP above).

IMG_1485.JPG

The forks weren't the Aero forks. They're unique from any other Tange fork I've seen.

IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG

Here's a few shots of the GHP trademark design queues

IMG_1508.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG

Research.Contributor.Signature.png

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
Hey Lee - you are correct - those Tange forks are not very common but they are correct for that frame set.

I have the test for that model in BMXA - came as a full bike.
Do you have it?

chromey

chromey

ministry of aesthetics

• Staff
  • 3,804 posts
Very Interesting Lee.
Nice Frame Set!

It looks like my forks are different, especially in the dropouts....but could seemingly be related... with the angled / sealed end caps.
The crown shape looks similar too. but who knows.

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Hey Lee - you are correct - those Tange forks are not very common but they are correct for that frame set.

I have the test for that model in BMXA - came as a full bike.
Do you have it?

Andy, I think I've read that test, but I don't think I have a copy of it.

z-man99

z-man99

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
cycle pro/ greg hill replica test from BMXA Dec. 1984. I scanned this years ago, pretty sure I posted it somewhere around here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
thanks for posting that Phil.

It was actually quite a well decked out bike.

greg hill

greg hill

• V.I.P. Member
  • 26 posts
Guy's-

I just want to say thank you, I cannot express the words to let you know how I feel when I come here and read this thread. BMX has been my life, it's what I have done, do now and will do forever..GHP was and is always a big part of that and to see the old bikes, articles, information it just really is quite amazing..Thank you so much!!!!!!

Rock on, BMX forever...

GH

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
likewise Greg - I'll think you'll find the feeling is mutual here!

Now, can you confirm again that when you were on GT you ran Star Bars with a GT sticker on 'em?

lol

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
Greg Hill at my local club early 85.

I designed the shirt he's wearing - Hollow's Cycles shop team.
That is Dale Hollows with Greg - local hotshot cruiser racer and trick bike shop owner BITD.

Posted Image

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
OK GHP train spotters - here's set of black GHP pads you don't see much - I have them on my candy red bike now in place of the chrome ones - they look bitchin'

Posted Image

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
Posted Image

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,734 posts
What's the story with those pads, Andy? Cool, and I am not sure if I've seen them quite like that before.

Ant

Ant

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
this thread rules! Are these Aerospeeds on this bike I know the spider is but i cannot tell if the cranks are?

Attached Images

• post_1031_1228295941_thumb.jpg

subwax

subwax

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
There's a white set as well. I have one of both, but mine are sadly faded. Those ones of yours are mint, Andy.

Johnny Johnson

Johnny Johnson

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
Cool seeing the photos of the original GHP team.

I've got two photos of Robby Taft racing in 83'. He was a class younger than me. Probably born in 1969.
Used to see him all the tiem at ABA and NBA nationals in the early 80's. Think he was on either GT or Elf before he signed with GHP.

I heard someone say they saw Tory Baily a few yeas back. Said he was a big brute!!! LOL!

Jason Donnell raced for a very long time, close to 20 years. He was a AA Pro as far back as I believe 2001.

Edited by Johnny Johnson, 04 December 2008 - 06:08 PM.

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
Well -- I think I know what next year's project is for me. Think it's time to pull my Cycle Pro off the shelf.

Ant - that's a shot of Charlie Williams from earlier in this thread. This is post-Hutch. I guess he brought his cranks with him.

I have one question after reading the article Z-Man posted. How many guys that have OG GHP bars really have Cycle Pro bars? Is there a way to tell the difference? The frame is easy to spot if the serial is in tact (Koizumi baseball stamp), but what about the bars?

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts

this thread rules! Are these Aerospeeds on this bike I know the spider is but i cannot tell if the cranks are?

def. Areospeeds there Ant.

Jason Donnell raced for a very long time, close to 20 years. He was a AA Pro as far back as I believe 2001.

that's cool to know - he really stuck in there.

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts

What's the story with those pads, Andy? Cool, and I am not sure if I've seen them quite like that before.

I got the pads form Don Parscale (Ultramax) who had ties with GHP.
I also got my Star Bars from him.
Greg used Ultramax cranks towards the end of GHP.

The black pads were advertised in the ads for the 1985 GHP full bike and frame set line up.
However, at that point the pad sets changed to look like the newer GHP logo without the lines.

Greg still had a deal with Zap Pad pads throughout GHP so you'll see him running Zapa and the Johar GHP pads.

I gotta say the NOS chrome Johar pads are (or were) one of the easiest things to find!

You'd pay $500 for Hutch equivalents!

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts

I have one question after reading the article Z-Man posted. How many guys that have OG GHP bars really have Cycle Pro bars? Is there a way to tell the difference? The frame is easy to spot if the serial is in tact (Koizumi baseball stamp), but what about the bars?

possibly the finish and the welds, also Star Bars generally have no knurling in teh stem clamp area.

Mattdub

Mattdub

• Sustaining Member
  • 651 posts
Cool pads Andy :ThumbsUp: .

I've noticed variations on pads too , I've 3 sets of chrome but they're as follows regarding the small signature part .

Used - All 3 pads are signed Greg Hill .
NOS - 2 pads are Greg Hill sig & 1 Cal lite Johar .
Used - All 3 pads are signed Cal lite Johar .

Pics of Cal Lite used set & NOS mixed set . I know that the Cal lite full set are old because they were on my Sept 83 bike so I'm thinking they came before the Greg signed ones .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2977__Large_.JPG
  • IMG_2982__Large_.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Robinson

-----
Uploaded by RRPrider
05 July 2013 - 12:00 AM
822 Views · 0 Comments

Rear Brake

-----