Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

GHP info (company)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

BMXROB

BMXROB

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
Im looking thru some old mags and I see Greg Hill was riding for Robinson around 87' or so. Was GHP bikes no longer around by then or was it bought out or? Whats the history with it?

newmidmike

newmidmike

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Im looking thru some old mags and I see Greg Hill was riding for Robinson around 87' or so. Was GHP bikes no longer around by then or was it bought out or? Whats the history with it?

I was just looking at that in nov86.

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
The original GHP lasted from late 83 to mid-86. GHP didn't have the cash flow to keep the team afloat and Greg went to Redline in early 86. In his agreement with Redline, Greg had to give up GHP. He was with Redline less than a year and was then picked up by Robinson through the end of 91.

In 1992, he briefly brought GHP back while he backed away from racing a bit, however he decided to get back in full force in 93 and GHP disappeared once more.

GHP finally returned in its present day form after Greg put out a very limited run of GHP Chromoly frames with modern geometry in 2005. His current partners convinced him to build on this success and the modern-day aluminum GHP's were introduced in '07.

Research.Contributor.Signature.png

BMXROB

BMXROB

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
So was GHP defunct from 87-91 or was it sold to someone who continued to run the company until Greg got it back in 92?

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts
I think it was dormant, Rob.

Nice summary, Lee. One thing... could you shed some light on the cyclepro/ghp period?

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
As far as I can find, it was dormant. Greg's dad may have continued to produce some items under the Star moniker, but I'm not certain on that.

The Cycle Pro relationship I'm a little fuzzy on, but I'll take a crack at it. I've chatted with Greg about this once, but I'm still not 100% on all the info.

Cycle Pro co-sponsored the GHP team. In doing so, they were licensed to produce a line of Greg Hill signature bikes. If I recall, there were 3 models. The two I can think of right now are the "Street Legal" and the "GHP Replica". I have have an old Cycle Pro ad at home (does anyone remember the "War Room" ad?). I'll have to take a look at it later.

The GHP Replica bike's frame was designed directly from the GHP CAD drawings with the help of Greg and Mr. Hill. It is pretty much a dead on copy, although I think the head tube angle might be a bit less agressive on the Cycle Pro version. I have one of the Cycle Pro GHP Replica frames and have had numerous people stop and say -- "Cool! A GHP". The GHP replica frames were manufactured by Koizumi. I'm not sure where the other Hill models were manufactured. These other models did not bare any resemblance to GHP frames.

The Cycle Pro partnership was disolved in late 84. I'm not sure of the circumstances. I do know that by 1985, GHP started offering complete bikes. Cycle Pro's offerings were complete bikes while, at the time, GHP was only selling frames/forks and components.

Greg checks in here from time-to-time. I'll shoot him a PM over at BMXA-O to see if he can chime in to fill in the gaps and correct my mistakes. :)

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts
I remember the war room ad very well. I'll see if I might have a scan tucked away. If anyone else has it readily available please post it or related info.

3rdgear

3rdgear

arrogant asshole

• Sustaining Member
  • 3,621 posts
'92 GHPPicture_307.jpg
Picture_008__3_.jpg
MADE BY ELF

2005 GHP '24 PROTO TYPE
IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG

newmidmike

newmidmike

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
By ELF huh? Weird, I have never heard of that much less seen it. Nice.

greg hill

greg hill

• V.I.P. Member
  • 26 posts
Thanks Lee for telling me about this thread..Hope you guy's are doing good..

OK here is my best shot at the history of GHP:

July 1983 my Father and I decided to change Star Products BMX into GHP BMX and made our debut at the 1983 NBL Grand Nationals..We operated GHP until early 1986, hard times with our vendor VDC, basically Voris sold his manufacturing business and the new owner did not have clue one as to building bikes, parts just did a terrible job. We could not accept product that had been ordered and was completely wrong..It was just junk..During the middle of GHP 83-86 we entered into an agreement with West Coast Cycles (Cycle Pro) to license the name Greg Hill and GHP BMX to distribute our products. The demand that created along with not being able to get product put GHP about $200,000.00 into back orders which ultimately made us pull the plug. I then signed with Red Line as they were headed out of business (I had no idea) Linn Kasten owed Sugino a huge amount of money, he could not pay and stopped doing business until SBS stepped in and purchased the name...Good call SBS..Time went on, in 1991 I had Ken from Elf make me 100 frames and forks..I paid him 100% of the money up front and 2 months later went to pick up my product, he made the seat stays wrond, and he said we ran out of tubing for your forks so here are 100 pair of Elf forks..I was dumbfounded..OK so now we know why Elf went under...I sold the 100 frames and called it a day..In 2005 I had been getting e mail messages from a lot of people over the course of 2 years and decided to make 50 cromoly 20" and 50 cromoly 24" frames with todays spec and yesterdays stickers..I did this with my buddy Alan Worley out of Jackson Tenn...We sold out in a short period of time...I let some time go by and decided to pick up the GHP name for good and do something with it..I was working for Mike Flaherty at Atomlab and he allowed me to do a run of GHP frames, they sold within 4 weeks and I said " Mike, I'm going to go out on my own, is that cool" Mike said go for it..I approached my first partner Rick in March of 2007 and we became partners..About 5 months later we approached my buddy Trevor Reynolds and he became the 3rd partner for GHP. We rolled along doing real good and in January of 2008 I brought my friend Eduardo into GHP as it's 4th partner..It's R&G Direct Marketing LLC..DBA GHP BMX our goal is to become a full blown bicycle company by January 2011 and were on our way..

Hope that clears up the GHP history, thanks for asking and being interested...

You guy's all have a wonderful holiday season..BMX for life whooooo

GH

chromey

chromey

ministry of aesthetics

• Staff
  • 3,804 posts
Wow..
Greg.
Thanks for the clarity.
Very interesting... and good luck with everything!

I just got a set of GHP Bars from Lee. and I love them. :)

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
Greg,

reading back through the BMXA interview when you signed to Redline after GHP... you were asked about the future of GHP and you said it would carry on as a separate company in it's own right. Just because you were riding for Redline now didn't mean GHP wouldn't keep going.

I guess that was being 'sensitive' to the situation at the time - lol.

It is cool that the early GHP stuff was VDC made (when Voris was still there).

Edited by AndyDiamond, 03 December 2008 - 01:11 AM.

Da-G-Ryd

Da-G-Ryd

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
:wow: ........now that's drop'n sum knowledge on 'yo A$$!!!

Thanks Greg for da inside scoop!!!,
:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]: ~G

koho jones

koho jones

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
thanks greg that info means alot to us GHP guys, GHP FO LIFE! :rawks:

subwax

subwax

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
I thought it was only the early GHP's that were VDC made. The ones with the flat brake bridge. Did VDC do the 84 and 84 models as well? For some reason I thought that Powerlite made the 84 / 85's.

I think you have explained to me why there are some 85 frames out there that have less then the usual GHP / Voris traits for build quality. They are the ones with the serial number on the bottom bracket instead of the rear dropout. The quality of those late 85 frames was really bad - they werent straight and true, and the welds were really iffy.

Thanks Greg - thats filled in a gap in my knowledge.

2elliot

2elliot

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
Wow, good stuff, thanks for posting...

:ThumbsUp:

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

• Admin
  • 18,826 posts
Science. :thanks:

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
Here's the ad I was talking about. These are the Cycle Pro Greg Hill Models. I was a little off -- there were actually 5 models according to this ad. The Competitor, the Signature, the Street Legal, the Turbo 16 (Pit), and the GHP Replica.

I apologize for the quality. I thought I had this in an actual mag, but I didn't. I pulled this from a PDF.

CPHillWar_Machine.JPG

AndyDiamond

AndyDiamond

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

AndyDiamond