Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fred Z Bars

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

chromey

chromey

ministry of aesthetics

• Staff
  • 3795 posts
I always liked the look of them,

And would it be blaspheomous to put them on an 81-82 Torker MX?
.... for real.

(I know I'm going to build it up my own way)... but I just wanted to see if these were in the ball park era-wise. I'm not a HUGE stickler for Era correctness / as opposed to over all look. But it's important to me that they're at least close..... If they're 3 years off the mark, i don't think I'd use them.

Looking to do a cool Skate-park version of the Torker.. but I'm not a fan of HUGE tall bars... and not really a fan of bars with tons of grip-sweep (Race Inc.. etc).

It's a shame because I'd love to use Race Inc bars.. but the grip angle really bugs me.

Any info or advice would be much appreciated :)

~chromey

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Sustaining Member
  • 5019 posts
I always thought the FredZ bars were a later 80's (Late old-school/early mid-school) creation. I could be wrong as I don't remember them at all BITD and I stopped paying attention around 87 or so... maybe that's why I thought that.

Anyway -- why not shoot for an early GT (or maybe Hutch?) expert bar. There weren't too many other bars out there that early without a ton of sweep.

You can always grab those Race Inc's and do a "home flattening" to them... :)

Research.Contributor.Signature.png

chromey

chromey

ministry of aesthetics

• Staff
  • 3795 posts

I always thought the FredZ bars were a later 80's (Late old-school/early mid-school) creation. I could be wrong as I don't remember them at all BITD and I stopped paying attention around 87 or so... maybe that's why I thought that.

Anyway -- why not shoot for an early GT (or maybe Hutch?) expert bar. There weren't too many other bars out there that early without a ton of sweep.

You can always grab those Race Inc's and do a "home flattening" to them... :)

I always thought the same thing about the FredZ bars.. I thought they came out in or around 87 or so.. then continued thru Midschool... but over the past day or two I've seen pics of Two different 82-83 GT Pros with FZ bars.. and it got me curious.

I'm starting to think my fuzzy memory and instincts were right.. the bars are Way too new for the ol' Torker.
:)

That's fine...

Lee, I actually had the thought about flattening some Race In bars.. but I feel like Aluminum wouldn't bend tat nicely.. and I'd most definitely tweak the skinny crossbar... Good thought though... haha.

I don't know.. I'm pretty picky about bars...
and I guess I'm looking for some "radically tasteful" (yes I said it).... small-ish looking race / freestyle bar for this bike.

IDEALLY - I'd like to use Redline Forklifters.. but i feel like they're too new as well.

I like the look of Smaller SE / PK Ripper or Quad bars, but those are something I'd ideally like to buy in person... Pics of handle bars can be so deceiving to view on screen when determining scale and proportion (especially with Race bars...).

BMXROB

BMXROB

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts
FredZ bars are MID SCHOOL YOU ARENT EVEN SUPPOSE TO BE POSTING QUESTIONS ABOUT MID SCHOOL STUFF IN THIS SECTION DUDE YOUR BREAKING THE RULES just kidding but I do beleive they were first created in the mid to late 80s. I do know that Cyclecraft was around for years before their peak in the late 80s so its possible they started earlier.

But for your rider? Use whatever the hell works I say. My rider sure looks old school to the untrained eye but its a bit of every school, even a lil from the new (bars).
IMG_6747.JPG

Da-G-Ryd

Da-G-Ryd

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
Do it up your way, fo' sho!!!Posted Image

I ran a pair on my '89 holmes, which I bought brand new from da Bicycle Source back in early '88.

Attached Thumbnails

• gbw2.1.jpg

choad666

choad666

Forum god

• Sustaining Member
  • 2029 posts
Powerlite expert bars would also be a good choice.

3rdgear

3rdgear

arrogant asshole

• Sustaining Member
  • 3621 posts
I have a pair on my late 84 CC, but I am sure they were not that early, maybe 86.

chromey

chromey

ministry of aesthetics

• Staff
  • 3795 posts

I have a pair on my late 84 CC, but I am sure they were not that early, maybe 86.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I pretty much first saw them in 87.
So 86 Makes sense. and if this Bike was a Cycle Craft. i'd definitely put them on... they were the "Trademark bar for CC".

:)

Powerlite expert bars would also be a good choice.

I thought about Powerlites too. Some of them have a great look to them.
I know Mike Dominguez used Powerlites on one of his Torkers in the skaetparks around 81-82... I just need to find myself the right set of PL's.

I Used to have a Pro Bend PL bar.. but it definitely had a tall GT look to it. In the little research I've done, the 1st series Powerbend bars were a nice smaller/expert size. Does anyone know if the early PL bars were All Alloy? or if some were CroMo too?

choad666

choad666

Forum god

• Sustaining Member
  • 2029 posts
I've got a set of the early alloy ones. I also have a set of chrome ones but I think they are early 90's.

thumperpilot

thumperpilot

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2334 posts
I just talked to the guy that bought out Cyclecraft this past weeeknd at our event at Disney Wolrd in FLA. Nice guy. He's 41 and use to race for them BITD. He got a ton of old stock and has been selling some of the stuff on ebay. Greg Esser is building their new frames that should be out real soon. He's planning on bringing the FREDZ bars and FORKs back into the mix. Just thought it might be a point of interest since you were talking about the company.
Posted Image

BMXROB

BMXROB

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts
This stuff gonna be old stock T/A type reissue parts and frames or Retro?

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Admin
  • 7983 posts
I asked a million times on another site about the bars and they would not answer, I imagine they will be exact duplicates. I would hope they are doing the right thing and making them distiguishable from the old bars. They have said the framesets will be threadless with canti mounts.

BMXROB

BMXROB

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts
That should piss off a few less people (threadless w/cantis).

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Sustaining Member
  • 5019 posts
Bumping back up. Picked up a set of bars yesterday and need to know how early they were used. Can anyone hammer down a definitive date? Anyone have any early Cyclecraft ads?

Just..Me..Chillin'

Just..Me..Chillin'

Dean of Old School Science

• Site Benefactor
  • 6167 posts
the fredz bars were def later --- 86/7 --- i was gonna bring up the fact they have allot of stock being off'd these days on ebay, i had read the Martino's were re-releasing the line.

but Shannon's info seems to be recent - so i guess its old leftover stock then ? because i had heard they were making it the stuff again, so it wouldn't necessarily be old stock ... but i honestly don't know for sure, Hey Shan non can you confirm its old stock ?
Posted Image

lboorse2

lboorse2

Forum god

• Sustaining Member
  • 5019 posts
I heard they were going to re-run these as well. Not sure if they'll be any markings to differenciate. So definitely later than 85 then? Thanks Marcos.

r-reekie

r-reekie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
The new bars are knurled so they are easy to tell new from old.

Nbl 49a

Nbl 49a

• Supporting Member
  • 1259 posts
Yes they are knurled. Also It's also not the Martino's making them. It's the new owners after Shag.

Stephen

antdog

antdog

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
If you need any C.C. info feel free to pm me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BMXsociety Show The Bicycle Source Fireman's Bikes Rick's Bike Shop Bike_of_the_year