Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

1981 Knott's Berry Farm Pepsi/Mongoose Grands

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

RandyS

RandyS

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
I can say with 100% certainty that it's not Rob Lynch. :lol:

I see you realized you were talking about Mike Lynch.

Lonnie Tatton? Can't remember what he looked like.

I saw what I thought was Richie too but decided it wasn't, looks just like him, looks like a Patterson jersey but I don't remember that helmet. Maybe it was a borrowed one.

I'm not positive about Ernie Ballard, but he was the only Nomura 20" rider I could think of that was that big.

Randy S,
You're too funny. LOL!

But I was right. You were all over that like "insert favorite Larry Huffman quote here".

Johnny Johnson

Johnny Johnson

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
Lonnie Tatton (SE) was aboubt 10 or 11 in 1981.
He had a skinnier face and blonde hair.
Lonnie and Matt Hadan looked like brothers.

Geez what a tiny starting hill!!!!!

RandyS

RandyS

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Lonnie Tatton (SE) was aboubt 10 or 11 in 1981.
He had a skinnier face and blonde hair.
Lonnie and Matt Hadan looked like brothers.

Geez what a tiny starting hill!!!!!

Bouncy and muddy too.

number11

number11

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
[quote name='Johnny Johnson' date='Apr 16 2008, 02:18 PM' post='274236']
The SE rider might be Jeff Davis or Rob Lynch OOPS I mean Mike Lynch (thanks Randy S).
The co-Torker rider is definately Rob Eisenberg.

So tell me....
How old were you at that race? You said 12.
What class were you racing?
Maybe you were racing Open Class and your age class too?

Yeah I was 12 and it probably was the open class. My birthday is Dec 30th so I had just turned 12. I think this race was in April. I'm guess'n that the 13 year olds were able to come down to the small track for the open........I know one of the races we wrecked in the first turn which was to the right and I went over the bars after hitting a hay bale! Great memories!!!!! I just remember being 12 staying at the Holiday Inn in Buena Park which is down the street a ways from Knott's and being able to walk to the park and doing whatever in the hell we wanted! Free passes at Knott's for 3 days....12 years old....by ourselves! Man it was a different world! We need to get it back like that! I remeber riding Montezuma's revenge over and over and eating tacos and drying off under the hand dryer in the bathroom. Then some stunt guy bungeed off the Knott's tower cabin....They didn't bungee back then! I remeber some giant bird cages in Buena Park too! Anyone else remeber those?

RandyS

RandyS

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
Danny,

The race was Thanksgiving weekend I think, same week as the ABA Grands. Not only did we have free passes all week but the place was 75% bmxers and no lines. And funnel cakes, mmmmmmm funnel cakes.

Johnny Johnson

Johnny Johnson

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
RandyS is right about the date. Thanksgiving weekend.
It was a major conflict with that Knotts race and the ABA Grand Nationals.

Funny I grew up in San Diego about 1 mile from the main airport.
Now I live a little over a mile from Knotts Berry Farm. Pass by it all the time.
I didn't get to race either of those big races that weekend!!!!!

Did you know Disneyland is a few miles South of Knotts Berry Farm?

number11

number11

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Did you know Disneyland is a few miles South of Knotts Berry Farm?
[/quote]

Yep....They're hella close. We usaully go to Disneyland every year or every other year and we always got to knott's because they have all the great food! Disneland's food......not so good!

Does anyone else have any pics or memories of Knott's? I think I remember more about walking the pits and getting stickers and chit more than actually racing. I was kind of in awe because it was my firsy race that wasn't local and small. The bars on my bike in these pics are JMC's. Randy S. put em' on right before the race and they are sittin right here next to my desk. This thread put us back in touch with each other. Hell I haven't seen him in 27 years? That's how cool this site is.

number11

number11

Advanced Member

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Me and the guys from my first heat..... Check out the Torker, SE, and DG stuff! Do I look small or is it just me? Before they needed birth certs for little league there was BMX! I'm the little one against the fence.........

For some reason I'm thinking the SE rider's name is Sean? Sound familiar with anyone?

thumperpilot

thumperpilot

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2328 posts
I don't have pix, but I have video footage from an old friend. Killer struff.
Posted Image

Brad Dalbec

Brad Dalbec
  • New or Still Warming Up
  • 2 posts
I raced there... 13x and 12-13 open. Made the open main. Here are some pics (I'm #144).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

bmx2112

bmx2112

ya dig!

• Sustaining Member
  • 10754 posts
:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]: Hey welcome to the site Brad, I've seen your vids on utube, good stuff. Do you still have any of your Thruster stuff?

Brad Dalbec

Brad Dalbec
  • New or Still Warming Up
  • 2 posts

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]: Hey welcome to the site Brad, I've seen your vids on utube, good stuff. Do you still have any of your Thruster stuff?

Just a few things...my old race bike, trophies, plates and jerseys.

Johnny Johnson

Johnny Johnson

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
Hi Brad,
I'm glad you posted those photos! Haven't seen those in a while.
Hope you're doing great.

The little CW rider is Tosh Muraviov.
A year ago I told him about those photos.
Hope it's ok if I copy them and email them to him.
Any objections, please let me know.

The Vans rider is Brian Gass who was an excellent racer
and a lifer in BMX. Found out recently he started raing in the mid 70's when he was very young.
I raced him off and on for years.

In the 90's, Brian Gass and his BMX arch rival Billy Griggs worked together at GT Bicycles.

Johnny Johnson

Johnny Johnson

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
In the very last photo on the left is Rob Eisenberg again in the co-Torker uniform.

A year later in late 1982,
Rob Eisenberg (then on Factory Schwinn) doubled at the Jag World Championships
winning 14 Expert and Cruiser.

Yoda

Yoda

• Users
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
The Nomura Rider was in fact Ernie Ballard. He was still with Nomura racing at that time.

Whoever put up those pictures, Thank you! wow did that bring back some Great memories. Knotts Berry Farm was basically deserted due to the terrible weather so it was a free for all on the rides after the races ended each day.

r-reekie

r-reekie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
well this belongs in the post for sure
Posted Image

Ant

Ant

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3350 posts
There is this one also.

Attached Thumbnails

• P8100097.JPG

Yoda

Yoda

• Users
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

That was bad! I didn't go because it wasn't ABA if I remember right, but my buddies did. I see at least 3 Nomuras. On one rider's back it says NG?

Awesome pictures.

A.G.

the one towards the center of the picture is Alex Wong, closest to the Photographer(with the shimano sticker) I believe to be either Ernie Ballard, or Wayne Crowsdale. I couldn't find the third rider in the photo(can you say where's Waldo?)

PlanetX

PlanetX

Forum god

• Supporting Member
  • 3136 posts
Glad this thread popped back to the top. . .killer pics. Love the muddy staging area. I remember doing a race in those same conditions. The track was totally destroyed afterward. Fun stuff.

Research.Contributor.Signature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BMXsociety Show The Bicycle Source Fireman's Bikes Rick's Bike Shop Bike_of_the_year