Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Webco BMX History

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts
:break:

CURT .......... UNDER COVER BROTHER.

no last name, like a movie star. not telling us were you are. HEY IT'S ALL COOL.

for the answers to your questions i'll do my best, but i get the feeling you know the answers already.
are or were you a dog town boy? :32: COOL

1. did i find webco or did webco find me? well it just kind of happened. i was introduced to webco by a friend named don kemp. don kemp and i met at one of the many thrusday B.B.Q.'s at the PALFREYMAN'S house in santa monica. so i guess you would say don kemp brought us together. oh yea don worked at webco.
2. was webco looking to get into bmx when we met?
well they never really said but i think no as i had meetings with all the owners and managers of webco and explained how the sport was growing and the need for special parts etc. that's when i became the bicycle racing advisor for webco. then it was just a natural step to say HEY why don't you guys spend the money and build my frames. we negotiated and the webco frame was on the way.
3. did the webco connection have anything to do with me being the bmx editor for minicycle action. if i understant the question as you ask it. NO webco did NOT get me the job at minicycle action magazine.
this part of my life is another story BUT real quick.
i worked for ted at southern california motocross news motorcycle news paper. i was a contributing editor for bicycle racing - bx editor - bmx -
i met many of the hot dogs in the magazines as well as all the pro motorcycle racers (another story)
i did stories and took photos for several papers and magazines, but like i said all that is another story.
4. was i involved with webco with the motorcycle stuff. well no i never workd with the motorcycles except that i used their parts.
5. before my involvement with webco did john palfreyman sr. and his shop "MOTORCYCLES UNLIMITED" do work for webco. i am not sure. i know that palfreyman sr. and don kemp were friends. there is a connection. john sr. sold - repaired - machined parts etc at his shop. so webco could very well have had john sr. do work for them (webco).

hope that was what you were looking for curt.
were any of those trick questions? :ROTFLMAO:

:thanks: RICK T.

Curt

Curt

• Site Patron
  • 1,149 posts
Rick,

I am always intrigued about how things happen and why. And no, I did not know the answers, but I am more educated as a result of your response, thank you!

As for me, I think I spoke with you (or your wife) when John Beaver passed. I hung out at his shop unitl he sold to Bruce. Spent way too much time and money there. Although I was only 12-13 (in 77-8) I recognized what a good man John Beaver was, he made a brief but lasting impression on me.

I grew up in Woodland Hills, but now (and for the last 9 years) live less than a block from Palfreymans old shop.

I started riding motorcycles in 1973 (raced 125s in 81) at Indian Dunes among other places, as a result I still have a few Minicycle Action Mags around. Got into BMX around 75 with a stingray, Raced on and off from 77 to 87. Local races mainly, never made the "big time".

I saved most of my bicycle crap from my early years. I Still have a few intersting items laying around. I still ride motorcycles (sport and dirt) as well as ride my last race cruiser (My trusty XL24). I enjoy 2 wheels as much today as when I was 8.

This whole interst in the history of BMX is a pretty cool, I enjoy the many points of view from the many who were part of it both then and now. It is nice to know that a lot of people have such good memories of times spent in an emerging sport that involved 2 wheels and dirt.

reilley1

reilley1

Forum dog

• Sustaining Member
  • 4,209 posts
Rick's Bike Shop team with original RBS/Webco jersies.

Posted Image

JP piloting an RBS Webco

Posted Image

spike

spike

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
C'mon there Reilley, you get an F in your Rick's history, that's JP, Lund ran # 88......sheesh.
Welllllllll, nice recovery.........lol.

Edited by spike, 30 March 2007 - 10:16 PM.

JustinHayes

JustinHayes

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Great topic!

I have some questions...

Who was Kurt Von Epp ?

The reason I ask is because I recently purchased a Webco that has his name stamped on it. I really know very little about Webco s and would like to know the history of this person and this bike.
Anything you can tell me about the bike below, I would appreciate.

Posted Image

Edited by JustinHayes, 30 March 2007 - 10:13 PM.

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts

JUSTIN asks WHO is KURT VON EPP ........................

WELL justin, he is the guy that owned the bike before it was stold. he has been looking for it for years. :wacko:
NOW he knows who has it. better keep one eye open at night. :28:

OH YEA, ....... If you get woken up in the middle of the night and you look out your window to see a bunch of red lights flashing, ....... you have about 30 seconds before the cops bust down your front door. at this point i will tell you, should shut up and raise your hands above your head and do as the police tell you to do. :ROTFLMAO:

:thanks: RICK T. :TGIF: :3:

JustinHayes

JustinHayes

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

JUSTIN asks WHO is KURT VON EPP ........................

WELL justin, he is the guy that owned the bike before it was stold. he has been looking for it for years. :wacko:
NOW he knows who has it. better keep one eye open at night. :28:

OH YEA, ....... If you get woken up in the middle of the night and you look out your window to see a bunch of red lights flashing, ....... you have about 30 seconds before the cops bust down your front door. at this point i will tell you, should shut up and raise your hands above your head and do as the police tell you to do.

* checks calendar* No, it's not April fools yet.

Well, I bought it off Ebay, so if it's really stolen, then I need to know soon so that I can file a dispute so that I can get my money back, and hopefully this guy can get his bike.

If you're just joking with me, but this guy does want to buy it back, then I would be willing to discuss it with him.

So.... who is Kurt Von Epp?

spike

spike

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
I think Rick was snappin' yer jock there son.

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts

JUSTIN ........ JUSTIN ................ JUSTIN.........

IT sounded like YOU were the one with the early april 1st. joke.
KURT VON EPP? isn't that GREMAN for .......
"YANK MY CHAIN" :ROTFLMAO:

BUT really..... it must be some kids name who at one time owned the bike. it isn't a signature model, if that's
what you were thinking. :13:

have fun with it or sell it to me. :32:

if you look on the bottom of the crank housing you should see some letters and numbers, or at least numbers. give us those and we might be able to tell you what year it is.

just you wait till april 1st. then i'll get you good. :ROTFLMAO:

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts
Oh, silly me. I remember KURT VON EPP. I even have a picture!!

Posted Image

:ROTFLMAO:

RICK T.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 18,622 posts
What just happened there... it would appear that Rick posted a pic! :wow:

must be a mirage... it's heating up in KTM already.

In any case... cool history Rick T. Good supplemental photos Rick G!

I guess that G-flash character doesn't have any webco pics to add. :dance:

moosegoose nick

moosegoose nick

• Site Patron
  • 1,862 posts
Thanks a million Rick. You're like a walking encyclopedia of Old BMX History and knowledge.

JustinHayes

JustinHayes

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
:ROTFLMAO:

Ok, thanks for the joke....

I don't have the bike in my posession yet.... but the seller said the serial is: N52444

The seller also showed pictures of the BB where the serial number is and it also has the stamping of the name I listed. They said that "Kurt Von Epp" was a rider for WEBCO in the past..... so hence the stupid question.

G-flash

G-flash

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
The "N" in serial # should be a "W"

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts

Justin ........... the pictures i have of that frame the name is on the seat post up near the seat clamp.

then the name appears again on the bottom of the crank housing along with two sets of numberS.
the top set of numbers i can't read. the letter and numbers under his name looks like N11 but again it is not real clear.

can you see the numbers enough to tell what they are?

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts

JUSTIN ........ i think G-FLASH is right. what you and i are seeing as a "N" should be a "W" :32:
"W" for WEBCO. makes sence. if the nunber after that is 11, then it could be 11th. month or november.
i know it's NOT 1 for january and 1 for 1971 because they DID NOT BUILD FRAMES IN 1971. :31:

TOP number should be frame serial number. :32:

HEY ........ i never claimed to have ALL the answers.
:fart:

:3:

JustinHayes

JustinHayes

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks G-Flash and Rick....

I don't have the bike yet, so I'll respond when I get it and let you know what the real numbers stamped into it are.

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts

HEY JUSTIN .......................you ever get this bike yet?
let us know the numbers. :32:

show us the bike and what you plan to change or are you happy as is?

JustinHayes

JustinHayes

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

HEY JUSTIN .......................you ever get this bike yet?
let us know the numbers.

It just so happens that it arrived this morning. There is a few problems with some components not seeming to be what was advertised though. I might have to send the whole darn thing back, who knows....

(said to have Tuf neck, but there is no stamp on stem, "JMC Bars" don't quite look like real JMC to me... etc..)

I haven't actually pulled the frame from the box yet, but I'll let you know when I do. .... and if I end up keeping it, I'll probably sell the frame.... any interest?

G-flash

G-flash

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
That is a real deal stem! Very good for you! :True:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Redline

-----
Uploaded by akcuda
18 April 2010 - 11:30 PM