Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Webco BMX History

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

MotoBMX

MotoBMX

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
I am really starting to feel the Webco movement, but I am not an expert on the brand by any means. Thought I would start a thread where those in the know could add their knowledge on this BMX pioneer company. Pics are obviously welcome and a timeline story would be ultra cool.

I know they started with motorcycles but I am looking for a history lesson here

tags: 70's bmx, Webco

zepp85

zepp85

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Member
  • 351 posts
Hi motobmx ask rick the godfather of bmx he knows all about it

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 16576 posts
word?

:rawks:

Attached Thumbnails

• RickWebcoTest.jpg

MotoBMX

MotoBMX

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
I know Rick is THE man, was trying to get his attention and come south of the border to give the full story.

greyboy

greyboy

Forum god

• Site Patron
  • 2673 posts
c'mon RICK!!! dont make me bust out the webco tri-fecta!!! show us some OG webco knowledge :)

keep_it_warm

keep_it_warm

Sweet Oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • 5005 posts
are you out there Rick?

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts
:break:

O.K BMX'ERS ......... gather round for here is the story i'm puttin' down. it's WEBCO 101 :Liv2ride:

ALL RIGHT SETTLE DOWN. YEA you in the third row. whats your name? "ummm my name is jeff utterback" well pay attention and you will understand why you will be following yellow bikes at all the race tracks. :ROTFLMAO:
a long time ago about 1971/1972 RICK TWOMEY
(that's me) gathered up a couple of neighborhood kids and started a bicycle competition team. at one of our first races in Malibu Ca. we met three guys from DOG TOWN. THOM LUND, DOUG TAKAHASHI, AND JOHN "JP" PALFREYMAN JR.. :32: :32: :32:
WAM - BAM THANK YOU MAM ....... the all NEW and
improved RICK'S BIKE SHOP BX TEAM WAS BORN.
YES i said BX. we went from competition team to BX
(bicycle cross) team. from that time on we have been kickin' ass and takin' names.
in those early years we did not have all the bx parts we needed so i had to make them. cut down motorcycle handle bars, with motorcycle grips.
then my friend RUSS OKAWA (from canyon cycle center) and i talked about using longer cranks. i noticed with the longer cranks the guys were going faster but they were digging the pedals into the dirt, so i raised the crank hanger up for more ground clearence. well one thing lead to another and i modified the 20" frame into a total racing frame. straight top and down tubes, raised crank hanger and different head angle. all for a better handling bike. i guess you would call it a RICK'S BIKE SHOP FRAME.
now i know this thread is about webco and their frames and we"re getting there, but a little history never hurt anybody.
O.K. so you all are in a rush so i'll jump forward a little. the team rode the RICK'S frames to victory after victory, until we were the BADDEST TEAM ON THE PLANET. with help from my friend DON KEMP, i hooked up a team sponsorship with webco and was given a title of bmx advisor. naturally i advised them to build my frames. and THAT my friends is when
WEBCO got started into bicycles. they had been around for 15 - 20 years making and sellng motorcycle parts. so this was late 1973 or early 1974
when WEBCO first started the frames. they were the first co. to make production bicycle motocross frames. jere kirtpatric made the frames for WEBCO.
early 1974 i met a guy who said he had a bicycle wheel that would not break like the spoke wheels.
YES it was SKIP HESS and his MOTOMAG wheels.
just about the time of the YAMAHA GOLD CUP FINALS in L.A. THE MOTOMAGS and the WEBCO frames were
ready for their grand unveiling. we did it at that race.
they were both well accepted and even though we did not win the main that day we did set track speed record. thom lund the fastest and john palfreyman
second fastest time.
so the first series WEBCO frames were a straight tube front end frame with a looptail back half.
this frame can be reconized by the small single gusset and the two cigar size tubes between the crank hanger and the rear loop.
the second series went to a double gusset and a cigarette box rectangle box behind the crank hanger.
from there many models were made an i left WEBCO
to work with SKIP HESS at BMX PRODUCTS MOTOMAG. this was before the MONGOOSE FRAMES.

i will stop here and let you ask some questions and
i will try to answer them best i can.
REMEMBER WE HAVE SOME REAL WEBCO EXPERTS ON THIS SITE SO CHIME IN. THE WEBCO KID AND
BOTH RANDY C. AND RANDY AND ALL YOU OTHER WEBCO FREAKS.

:thanks: RICK T.

S.Brothers

S.Brothers

nil illegitimi carborundum

• Admin
  • 16576 posts
Excellent... an exciting tale of history and ass kicking. I know Rick's computer set up prevents him from posting photos, so I'd like to ask other members who may have photos that would illustrate Rick's points (especially pics of the early frames he described) to post them. Please!

I might even move this to the main board for a while in order that it receive the attention it deserves.

(Also... please keep MotoBMX who started this thread in your thoughts and prayers, he has a serious illness and good vibes sent his way will help!)

Redline102b

Redline102b

lake jumpin'

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Excellent... an exciting tale of history and ass kicking. I know Rick's computer set up prevents him from posting photos, so I'd like to ask other members who may have photos that would illustrate Rick's points (especially pics of the early frames he described) to post them. Please!

I might even move this to the main board for a while in order that it receive the attention it deserves.

(Also... please keep MotoBMX who started this thread in your thoughts and prayers, he has a serious illness and good vibes sent his way will help!)

I 2nd everything. C'mon, let's see some of those pics.

Thanks Rick for the History lesson!

Dirty

Dirty

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2390 posts
Very cool...I am learning a new appreciation for Webcos. Keep dropping that knowledge!! I need to learn!!

Tony

zepp85

zepp85

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Member
  • 351 posts
gracias Rick for the lesson

reilley1

reilley1

Forum dog

• Sustaining Member
  • 3756 posts
First Generation Rick Twomey Designed 1974 Webco Hardtail (Notice the pencil chain stays rather than the more familiar cigarbox )

Posted Image

silverhw

silverhw

lover of all things goose

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
That hardtail is awesome,do you still have one of those Rick?

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts

i am still going through things all the time and finding little treasures. a couple of those frames could show up. :32:

what i do have is the very first made WEBCO
MONO-SHOCK frame. has never been painted or put together. will try to get reilley to post some more
pictures. :32:

i collect WEBCO everything so if anyone has anything
for sale or trade, let me know.

like G-FLASH says WEBCO RULES :24:

:thanks: RICK T.

66herbie

66herbie

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
I noticed the 1974 Webco has a brake bridge, and it doesnt look like it has a bracket for the coaster brake. Did they run a freewheel with a side pull brake that early in the bmx days? I know I have seen a wheel with a 1976 ACS hub that was freewheel, it now belongs to Reilley_1.

Curt

Curt

• Site Patron
  • 899 posts
Rick,

A question or two.

1. Did Webco find you or did you find Webco initially?
2. And if Webco found you, had Webco been looking to get into BMX?
3. Did the Webco connection have anything to do with you as "Bicycle MX Editor" of Minicycle magazine?
4. Were you involved at all with the motorcycle side of Webco?
5. Did Palfreymans shop (on 10th and Pico) work with Webco before your involvement?

Great history!

G-flash

G-flash

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
Good questions Curt! :4_1_9: C'mon Godfather and give us the skinny! I'll take notes! :3_3_102[1]:

Rick Twomey

Rick Twomey

Godfather of BMX

• V.I.P. Member
  • 797 posts

GOOD QUESTIONS INDEED. :32:

hope i can give as good of answers.
66HERBIE from sunny arizona.......... YES there is a brake bridge built on the frame and was not drilled.
not everyone was using a hand brake so let the ones that did drill their own hole. the bridge was there for strength as well. my team never used hand brakes.
tested two speed rear hubs but they were outlawed the first time we ran them. (dreamchild of my good friend RUSS OKAWA). :24:
YES there was no coaster brake lever bracket for same reason as hole not drilled in bridge. not everyone ran coaster brakes so why add a special bracket. my team used bendix 70's coaster brakes and the levers were connected with the old fashion metal brake strap for most guys. we used a special rubber padded loop strap that electricans used to insolate wires and mount to walls in houses. trick little piece.
RMEMBER back in the OLD SKOOL DAYS we couldn't just run down to the bike shop and buy what we needed.
bmx was just geting started. we made what we needed. by the way the electricians strap did not scratch the frame paint. :32:
hope that answered your questions.

:thanks: RICK T. rbst

abombone

abombone

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Thanks for droppin' the knowledge!
It's always good hearing all the tasty little stories about how it all started there in SoCal., and it's cool to hear how it all went down.
Keep those stories coming!
On a personal note, as a little kid back in 77-78 I had a pretty cool Suzuki but I always coveted this bike that this kid was rippin' around the neighborhood on. He had all the latest trick components on it -alloy wheels with freewheel, alloy bars, stem, and cranks etc...... I was so jealous!
It was a WEBCO. :32:
Man, that bike left quite an impression on me. I had to have one. By the time my parents got around to buying me a new bike, WEBCO had pretty much exited BMX and all these other brands had shown up on the scene, so I ended up with a Torker (King Edward made a huge impression on me).
But WEBCOS will always be cool in my book. As a wise man once said to me......"you've got to go back to go forward".

G-flash

G-flash

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
WEBCO RULES THE BX! :True:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BMXsociety Show The Bicycle Source Fireman's Bikes Rick's Bike Shop Bike_of_the_year