Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Best way to polish up nickel plated frame ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Guest_1azbikeman_*

Guest_1azbikeman_*
  • Guests
I know this has probably been talked about before but is there a really good way to clean up a dull finish on a frame/fork you guys recommend? I have a nickel Mongoose and Redline squareback that are both in pretty bad shape. I really don`t want to renickel them if I don`t have too but I have been polishing them by hand w/Blue Magic metal polish and it doesn`t seem to be getting thru the rough stuff? Any idea what it cost to renickel a frame it seems like it may be easier? Thxz

Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests
Hand polishing old nickle is probably not gonna get it done. Take it to a shop and have it professionally polished, if the frame isn't a basket case, odds are they can polish it and make it look like new. If it is beyond help then new nickle is the way to go. It isn't the plating that cost so much it's the polishing and prep before. I just did my Jag F/F in June and it cost 150, small shop, long wait so I got a deal. You should probably expect anywhere from 130-200 for a good nickle job. Definitely try to save what you have, a good polisher can make it look like new nickle, ask Sodbuster.

Spur

Spur

Forum Grouch

• Admin
  • 7937 posts
Why did that let me type the above without signing in, that is crazy, I thought I was signed in. Anyway if you have anymore questions let me know

Randy C

Randy C

Resident Chef

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
it can be done by hand with blue magic, but plan to spend hours upon hours on one tube.....work one spot at a time, apply the polish, rub in then rub it out, do the same spot multiple times

If you have multiple nickel frames to do your best bet is purchasing an electric bench grinder, switch the stones to buffing pads, buy some compound sticks and go to work. I suggest buying a free standing grinder stand, it will let you get the wheels into the all the nessesary spots on a bike frame. I can restore a frame in less than an hour. All this will cost less than one frame replate or professionaly polished.

Guest_1azbikeman_*

Guest_1azbikeman_*
  • Guests
Thxz for the info. I think I will go out tomorrow and get the bench grinder sounds like that might be the trick! Were do you get the compound? Ace? Hdwe. store?

Randy C

Randy C

Resident Chef

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
the wheels and compounds I buy at Ace are this brand.

dico

Randy C

Randy C

Resident Chef

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
loads of tips on the site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BMXsociety Show The Bicycle Source Fireman's Bikes Rick's Bike Shop Bike_of_the_year