Welcome to BMX Society community forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Redline 102b - 1980

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Redline102b

Redline102b

lake jumpin'

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts
I need a little help. I was going through some old pics, and found one of my 1980 Redline 102b. It peaked my interest about all my old bikes. I had an '84 Hutch Pro Star, and old '79 Mongoose with Tuff II mags. I was trying to hunt down some info on the 102b, because I want to find a frame and build one from scratch for my boy. But, I can't find anything, anywhere on the 102b. Even the Old School BMX Museum is missing the 1980's section of the Redline series. If anyone has ANY info they can place on this post, it would be greatly appreciated.

DBformula_1

DBformula_1

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
Welcome to OS-BMX. You have come to the right place with your question.(s) I am also a newbie member. I have found that this place is the BEST resource on the web for our great hobby. You will be amazed at the wealth of knowldege you will find. Sit back, fix a cocktail, (or coffee, thats how early I read posts somtimes) and enjoy this fourm.

As far as your redline question I cant answer that one. I know somone on our forum will pop up as a Redline expert. Try keyword search the old post.

Again welcome, take care

:14:

sk8bones

sk8bones

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
I know you are trying to remember 25 years ago, but the reason you are not finding a 1980 RL 102b is because they don't exist. In '80 you had the Pro Line, Micro Line, MX-II's and MX-III's (though I really don't know the difference between II's and III's). I think 102b's came out when 600a's and 700a's came out. That would be '82. Check out BMXstop.com for stickers and cross reference years from there. I'm not the Redline expert, though I would love to see a proper '80 Pro Line build.

Good luck,

sb
:18:

Redline102b

Redline102b

lake jumpin'

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts
That makes sense now. After doing some more thinking, I figured I might be wrong on the year. I also started wondering if I was wrong on the 102b name, and that it wasn't a 500a or 600a. So I started digging and found a picture from 1984. It was right before I stripped it down and making it a FS bike. Here is a Pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• Redline_102b.jpg

Redline102b

Redline102b

lake jumpin'

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts
As a matter of fact, with the help of this awesome forum, I have found my bike. It was an '82 600 series bike. Actually found a pic of the Redline add in a magazine. I think this came in Red/Gold and Blue/Gold. My question is does anyone know why or for what reason my was called a 102b? Was it a cheaper version of the 600a? Maybe different options? Any help would be appreciated. Here is that pic from the mag....

Attached Thumbnails

• 82redlinead.jpg

sk8bones

sk8bones

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
I saw your pic and said 600a myself. I had to look really close to see the 102b sticker. The difference is likely that the 600a's MX-III frame is all chromoly and the 102b is what is called "trimoly". That means the front half of the frame is chromoly and the rear triangle is mild steel. I wouldn't sweat it with components like that. I'd get a trimoly in a second with that top gear on it. I hope you find one with the Redline seat and "Brute" stem in tact. Those items are hard to come by and sought after. Especially the seat. Good luck!!!
:32:

Redline102b

Redline102b

lake jumpin'

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts
That's the cool part. When I made the bike into a FS bike, I switched the RL handlebars out for Hutch Pro Star bars, the brakes out to White MXD-1000's, the rims for white Z-Rims, and the seat and post to a Hutch seat. I replaced the cranks with a Spider 3 piece and the forks with SE Landing Gear forks. The bike got stolen in '84 and insurance money replaced it with an '84 Hutch Pro Star which I gave to one of my Dad's employee's son. He was supposed to give it back, but it got stolen too. But, I still have all of the original RL gear I took off. Forks, Cranks, Brakes, Rims, Handlebars, Pads and that awesome RL seat and post!!! I just came across all of this stuff in my Dad's garage, and I am really looking forward to getting it all put back on. I just need a frame, gooseneck, hubs, foot pedals and minor other pieces. Can't wait!!!

SEADOOIT

SEADOOIT

Forum god

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3834 posts
here is mine ....600a had since new...thinking of thinning the herd ...maybe this one???

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM0663.jpg

Redline102b

Redline102b

lake jumpin'

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts
That is sweet. I have been looking into rebuilding now for a few years, but never took it anywhere, until I found this site. I can hardly freaking sleep. My goal is to start and finish the RL, move on to the '84 Hutch I had, then do a special PK Ripper. It was always my "I want it" bike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

BMXsociety Show The Bicycle Source Fireman's Bikes Rick's Bike Shop Bike_of_the_year